Help with proposed finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shirehorseman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used stained finishes and dyes before and always got a decent finish. Always ending with a few coats of thinned down oil based varnish so as not to end with the 'rubbery' finish. Now the good lady of the house wants to have a new kitchen fit. A white one. No problem there, but I'd already made a large plate rack and even larger plate display which she now obviously wants to be white. I'm no expert with the painting apart from the normal door frame and skirting etc. So how do I get a nice white finish without them both looking a horrible mess. Could I possibly stain with White chestnut stain? as I have never used such a thing for white I am not sure.
Sorry I forgot to mention they are made from Baltic Pine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Trev.

Trev
No, the Chestnut stain isn't strong enough-I've tried. The best result is going to be undercoat and gloss. Got some left over from the skirting? :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi Trev

Philly's right (of course), our White Stain was developed mainly as a 'mixer' to go with our other colours to give pastel shades.
It can be used in its own right, but the effects can vary a lot due to several factors, not least because the pigment in the white stain has trouble staying in solution. Vigourous stirring will help, but sadly there is nothing we can do about this one (other than withdraw the product altogether which will upset a lot of people!)

To Philly & Terry,
Thanks to you both for the input.
I was hoping that I didn't have to paint, but never mind. Just hope I don't end up looking like this :oops: As painting is not really my thing. and I'll try not to have the little wife looking like this :twisted: if I can help it.
Many thanks again guys.
Trev.

trev use a satin wood and apply with a foam roller lightly brush the beading or corners so that you get no runs ,if you want it to be a high gloss then apply a coat of vanish with a foam roller and brush out any runs .its best to do the doors lying flat on a bench .

frank

Thanks a lot Frank,

Appreciate all the help I can get with this one. The little lady is definate about the white kitchen. It would have been a lot simpler to have stained, I am not looking forward to this at all. But I shall leave it until I have fit all the units (when we get them) and then Maybe I shall be able to get my head 'round this idea of painting. The problem -as I see it- is going to be the plate rack with all the dowel dividers in the way. The larger plate display is a more open affair.
I really do appreciate the help from you guys.
Thanks again. Better sneak off quietly to kip now. Didn't realise it was so late.
'Nighty-nite' all.
Trev.

Back