Help with making driveway gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Brooker

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been getting quotes for a pair of hardwood driveway gates and they are astronomical!
I’m now thinking of constructing my own, hardwood, about 12 feet wide. I have basic woodworking skills but would appreciate any help on what type of hardwoods best suited and and anywhere I can get plans etc, also does anyone know a good timber supplier ? I’m in Southend Essex ? Any help appreciated, this will be a big project for me !

Hello Geoff, I recently mentored a chap making garden gates, and they came out very well. As I recall, he made them from larch, and I believe that ro be a good choice. My own gates are commercially made of oak. The important thing is to make sure that the gates are braced (a heavy member running diagonally from the bottom hinge side corner in the direction of the too slam side). If you look on pinterest you’ll see dozens. Stay in touch. Austin

Perhaps a metal/ wood combo as a transitory solution?

Astronomical us a bit relative. If its a solid construction with Iroko or some other Teak style timber the material cost is not insignificant. Price up the timber and you might be surprised.
In theory a gate is a fairly simple project, it's just big.

Ollie

timber costs have gone up massively, sweet chestnut is a good one in terms of cost and it's very durable, english woodlands timber sell it, I'd contact them to ask for a quote.

mine cost about £800 in sapele. but these were mortice and tenoned and fairly sizeable. which means tools. it was over £60 in Sadolin! I didn't brace mine but I did through tenon and wedge them. I really liked a latch system called locinox French stainless and wonderfully made. you do need minimum 4 inch stiles for that though.

Attachments

• 20200505_191719.jpg
    20200505_191719.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200505_191557.jpg
    20200505_191557.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
Hi Geoff, you say you have basic woodworking skills, but you are going to need a big morticer as well for gates like those, I read of somebody else doing something similar recently and as they didn’t have one they used 3 bits of thinner material and made up the joints by glueing and screwing using polyurethane glue – to explain, the mortice was created by leaving a gap in the middle plank and the tenon was created by having the middle plank sticking out further than the two pieces of wood on either side of it, this created the shoulders. But you will definitely need a brace on gates that wide. If you’re not sure just say and I’ll do you a quick sketch. Ian

Iroko is a good choice assuming you can machine it. Time to invest in a Festool Domino XL ?

A hammer and chisel will do this easily, if you can’t do it without expensive machines, I bet you can’t do it with them either.

Back