Help with making boxes with lid.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
:cry: :oops:
Here we go!!
Most of you know I struggle using what brain cells I have left, specially numbers, measurements and the more I faff on it makes me totally confused and my brain shout off, info overload.
mixing inches and mm's isn't help either #-o
Anyways, the box supposed to be 4" x 4" (with 12mm ply).
everything was going ok.
UWoWhk0.jpg

OMG!! whats going on with it!!
B1CVjgJ.jpg

Ok bit over done it..
nZSzKa4.jpg

But look at the clip of the next two pics.
JvNO2qm.jpg

k2ocwk9.jpg

infact the sides and the edges aren't to bad :lol:
Can anyone help????
the rabbets are 6mm deep...and cut the width of the plywood (12mm)
Maybe helping with 'A known measurement cut list :?: '
And explain why/how the top n bottom measurements are so wrong.
Hope you understand my woffle….just spent 5 hrs in the woodshop getting worse n worse. :oops:
Doesn't help mind on youtube one are going on with 3 5/8ths (using USA measurements)
Ohh well i'll stop now before you all get confused more.
Thank you.
Bri

It may be worth doing a full size workshop drawing on a scrap piece of mdf or such like so you can pick out the measurements. A plan drawing should be enough to sort your problem with the top and bottom but often side elevation can also help with establishing dimensions generally. I have always beeen a great believer in the woekshop drawing or a rod.

Chris

Maybe the 12mm ply isn't exactly 12mm but a bit less which is why your rabbets look a little wide.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bri - good to see you back on here

The two sides WITHOUT any rebates - I reckon they need to be 12mm narrower.

You have removed two 6mm rebates - but there is still 12mm (2x6mm) of wood left that is pushing it from square to oblong.

That explanation probably makes no sense!

Maybe draw one of those sides out on paper/card - 12mm shorter than the real one and offer it up to the box you have made. It might work!

Good luck mate. These sort of boxes open up a whole world of projects. Keep at it!

manxnorton":3jyf6lni said:
mixing inches and mm's isn't help either #-o
Would it help you to convert all numbers to mm at the start, and then you're not having to try to juggle two measurement systems?

But perhaps the ideal is not to use measurements at all for most thing, instead just take your dimensions from what you're working with. So with your ply (which will never be exactly 12mm) you can just get its thickness directly from the material and transfer this dimension, regardless of what it is.

Your sides are full length.
Your ends are rebated, by 6mm.
The result is the box ends up at side length + the depth of the remaining rebate.

Solution.
The ends are made to fit inside, the sides.
The box sides are made to the length of the box.
The box ends are made to the box width, LESS twice the the thickness of the sides.
Your base and lid should fit.

Bod

one easier solution although it may look a bit more crude is simply to glue and nail the bottom on with no rebate, use a thinner 6mm piece of ply.

it looks like you have overcut your rebate, one way to avoid it would be to assemble the sides without the bottom rebate cut, make sure you're happy with it, then place it on top of the bottom piece and drawer around the sides on the inside and you'll have the exact size for your rebate needed so it should be clear where the rebate will be cut, then refine it with a square or ruler and cut out the waste.

Hi all,
Really appreciate the help.
Yesterday I just couldt get my old bones into the workshop, but today.
I thought about things....(Brians way!!! slow..)
But before I got confused again and info overload shut my brain off thought the edges need to smaller to accommodate the 6mm rabbet each side.
So as you can see for inctance I went for 100mm x 100mm sides & top and bottom.
The two edges were 100mm x 88mm.
KHQRENa.jpg

7Qq4BIq.jpg

WGGicvN.jpg

Am I in the right ball park?
I totally got fragged with cutting the dado inside as I followed a youtube vid.
it said mark a line just below the dado (outside) so when I come to cut the lid out it be ok!!!
:oops: :roll:
KKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAA!!! it didn't...
I give up at that point ...again..Obv I was doing it wrong again.
So plan B-Z is going to do a different way for a lid.
ATB got the bottom glued up. #-o
TBC.
I'm not going to give myself another stroke...lol but still enjoying the challenge and learning.
BRi

Latest posts

Back