Help with Kity 419

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarka

Reaction score
I've had this table saw (kity 419) for quite a long time now and it's done the jobs I've needed it for. But today I decided to give it a good clean and removed several parts of it like both sides, unbolt the internal blade guard to make it easier to get to certain areas with the hoover or brush. To make sure I didn't lose the the bolt that tightens the blade to the arbour, I screwed it in tightly but without the flange that holds the blade in place. I knew I hadn't touched any parts that would make it dangerous to turn it on. So when I did start the motor, that bolt tightened that much the motor stopped probably because the belt had gone that tight. Can't understand why this happened, and now I can't undo the bolt from inside the arbour because it's that tight
. Nor do I know what has to be loosened to release the belt tightness. If I can do that, then I'd be able to see if I've done damage to the motor. I'm no electrician so if a fuse has blown, or I've broken some other electrical part,. can someone give me advice what I'd need to do. I've attached some images of various parts for easy understanding...Help and advice needed please
IMG_20210831_190543.jpg
11.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_203232.jpg
    IMG_20210831_203232.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well... im not familiar with the kity 419, but theres 2 holes in the top pulley, which should allow you to use an angle grinder tool to stop the pulley moving while you loosen your bolt. They do adjustable angle grinder tools for a few quid.

Secondly, the lower pulley can be loosened by undoing the mounting bolts a bit, allowing it to rotate towards the top pulley, loosening the belt.

Did the motor smell of burning? Did it suddenly stop? Was there a pop?
Fuse is the first thing to check

baldkev, thanks for looking at my post. The two holes in the top pulley - the arbour, are for two pins that are connected to the flange for alignment to hold the blade so I've got to be careful messing around applying pressure. Any slight movement with that part and I could end up with a wobbly blade.
I've loosened the three bolts around the lower pulley, but it doesn't seem to alter the belt tightness. I think they're there for the rotation of height adjustment, hence the curved slots.
Regarding the motor, it didn't smell of burning, just stopped, and I don't think I heard a pop.

Thanks

Last edited:
baldkev, just seen the angle grinder tool you mentioned. (never used an angle grinder so weren't sure what you meant) Provided the pins fit, Looks like that would work.

Thanks

A regular angle grinder tool won't fit so I would look at baldkevs other suggestion of an adjustable one. The pins on the spanner are larger on a regular one too so maybe it will require you to make one. It shouldn't be too hard if you or a friend have basic metalwork skills. This is my flange from my Bestcombi (basically the same saw) and a grinder spanner.

DSC03708 (1).JPG

kinverkid Just been and measured the diameter of the pins - 3mm and the distance between - 19mm so like you say because the pins are so thin, I'll have either search online for one that fits or buy one and file the pins down or like you say "have a go at making one"
Still got to some how loosen the belt to try the motor.
Thanks.

Well... im not familiar with the kity 419, but theres 2 holes in the top pulley, which should allow you to use an angle grinder tool to stop the pulley moving while you loosen your bolt. They do adjustable angle grinder tools for a few quid.

Secondly, the lower pulley can be loosened by undoing the mounting bolts a bit, allowing it to rotate towards the top pulley, loosening the belt.

Did the motor smell of burning? Did it suddenly stop? Was there a pop?
Fuse is the first thing to check
You were correct with the second part of your reply you sent me, by undoing the mounting bolts a bit, around the lower pulley allowing it to rotate towards the top pulley loosening the belt. Now the belt is off, I've found out that the arbour is locked. There are two locking nuts around the back of the plate it's bolted to. There doesn't appear to seem there's any kind of bearing present. I'm going to take the cast table top off to look at it before I do anything else.

The motor started as usual, so no damage done.

Thanks again for your advice

I sometimes forget which way is the right way to undo a bolt or nut especially from underneath, would not harm to check if its a right or left hand thread before to much effort/force is applied :)

Easiest way I find to undo something like this is with an air impact driver, if you can borrow one, and have a compressor. The constant impact will undo even very tight nuts while you just hold the pulley quite gently, often just with your hand, or wrap the belt around it and hold the ends together with pliers to grip it. Use this all the time for things like centrifugal clutches on strimmers and so forth where the rotating part is a pig to hold securely because of the shape or limited access. Just the compression of the engine is sufficient on these, you don't have to hold them at all, it's not about torque but the series of sharp rotational impacts that does the trick. Just make sure you are doing it the right way!

would not harm to check if its a right or left hand thread before to much effort/force is applied
The Bestcombi 2000 is right-hand thread so hopefully yours is too.
Easiest way I find to undo something like this is with an air impact driver
Have to agree with the impact driver. If you turn your arbour you should, hopefully, see two thin slots. These I would imagine would take a rather thin spanner possibly used to hold the arbour to fasten it during manufacture. Just a thought.

Gary

The Bestcombi 2000 is right-hand thread so hopefully yours is too.

Have to agree with the impact driver. If you turn your arbour you should, hopefully, see two thin slots. These I would imagine would take a rather thin spanner possibly used to hold the arbour to fasten it during manufacture. Just a thought.

Gary
Haven't got an impact driver and the slots on the arbour are for holding the arbour whilst tightening the blade to it which is using 13mm spanner normal way for tightening (clockwise rotation).The spanner to go into the two slots came with the saw but I've lost it
It's the two nuts on the back of the plate holding the arbour to it I'm unsure which way to turn. Surely there's got to be a bearing somewhere but can't see until I remove the top, which I'm doing later today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_174504.jpg
    IMG_20210901_174504.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back