Help with identifying a wooden smoothing plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello:

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I have read and learned from many posts made in the hand tool forum. A friend has a wooden coffin style smoothing plane with the letters FWE and a highly stylized symbol that could be a rooster? There is also a fairly large "2" on the heel of the plane. The plane is exactly 8 inches long or 24 cm. I have a couple of pictures of a very similar plane but I don't have access to a public site to store the pictures and post them here.

Any help to identify where this plane came from would be very much appreciated over here in the colonies!

Rick in Canada

Thank you, AndyT. I don't read German, but the symbol on this plane is the same as what is on the Emmerich page. There is also a reference to the company using the initials FWE at one time. Thanks for your help!

Happy to help.
I don't read German either, but letting the browser translate shows that the FWE name was used early in the company history, from 1852 to about 1940.

Back