help with identifying a router bit profile please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
I have loads of oak cupboard doors that need sanding for my campervan renovation. The problem I have is that most have a fine edge profile which would be lost if I attempted to sand with a block and sandpaper.

My idea is to recut the external edge profile of every door to the same profile on my trimmer router table which would give me a nice clean new edge to varnish wax or stain .

I need to find out what sort of router bit profile I should look for and this is all very confusing to me There are thousands of profiles and sizes groan.

The total height of the frame is approx 17mm the included height of the rebate is 1mm and the width of the profile is 6mm . I suspect that light sanding has reduced the original overall height of 18mm which has most come of the rebate height.
can anyone help with a suitable 1/4" trimmer bit please.
SAM_0042.JPG
SAM_0040.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0042.JPG
    SAM_0042.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 230
  • SAM_0040.JPG
    SAM_0040.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 229
MikeG.":1shp9aj3 said:
That looks like a round-over bit, set to produce a small quirk.
thank you Mike. Would this profile have been made with a single bit or with 2x different bits in a dual pass ? if you have a link to a suitable image or spec I'd greatly appreciate it.

Doug71":1eqgaf6j said:
Wealden Tools are your friend.

Maybe T508B from this page if it's 6 mm radius?

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... d_216.html

Ahh Doug thats just the bit I need . thank you very much . I have been searching for hours trying to find a comprehensive table of bits to help me identify it without success.
I'll order up a couple and try it out on a spare oak frame . This should give me a nice clean new edge on every door and save some mind numbing sanding .

another potential problem has just struck me. Using this bit will create a round over and quirk on the top 7mm of the edge but will then leave a 10mm rebate at the bottom edge ....
What would be the best method for tackling this job

I don't understand how it would cause a 10mm rebate, or how indeed it could cause that.

I can't picture what you mean by the rebate, the cutter will just produce a round-over or round-over with quirk if set a bit deeper.

I could be wrong but on your photos the quirk looks further in from the edge then 6 mm, if so you will need a cutter with a larger radius.

Doug71":5j26kxsx said:
... on your photos the quirk looks further in from the edge then 6 mm, if so you will need a cutter with a larger radius.
+1. Dimensions of radii are deceptive. (I mentioned this in post that disappeared into the ether).
Personally I would machine the quirk off - it's only a sharp edge get damaged.

marcros":h4ahqrty said:
I don't understand how it would cause a 10mm rebate, or how indeed it could cause that.

i'm probably not explaining it very well sorry.

What I am trying to achieve is to remove 0.5mm from the existing door frame edge profile instead of trying to sand them .

I appreciate that this is not how the profile was originally formed or how it is normally done.

I can see that this will have to be done in 2x stages for each frame edge . Once to form the new quirk and round over and once more with a straight bit to square up the edges and remove the lower part of the profile . Crikey thats hard to describe if you don't get what I am trying to do. :? :?

Lazurus":2bm6lkyx said:
Why not just add a profile that you like, does it have to be an exact replica?
you can see the frame profile its 18mm high frames with a 6mm round over and 2mm quirk .
I could cut a larger round over but the frames would then look clumsy heavy and out of proportion and I'd probably lose the quirk.

I have 15+ doors of different sizes from 600mmx450mm up to 1800mm x 400mm thats 60 frame sides that have to be profiled exactly the same. If I need to use 2x different bits to achieve this that will be 120 single passes or 240 passes if each cut needs to be done twice to remove the existing staining dirt and sun bleached finishes .

its not possible to sand these frames I have tried . All that happens is that you lose the quirk ,the sharp edges and crispness .

how would you achieve this ?

I think I can see the way i can solve this .
i need to use a straight router bit and run every edge of every door frame until the edge is clean.

Then I'll need to form a new round over and quirk with a second bit to every frame edge . So it has to be a double process which is going to be a lot of work but the new oak profiles will look great once stained.

Plane the edges clean, sand the fronts and inside edges then last of all run the router around the sides. If by chance the profile of the cutter is same as existing moulding (unlikely) , the couple of shavings you've taken off outside will allow the cutter to clean the quirk up.

yes thats the way I've decided to do it . I can't see any other way.
I thought that I might be able to find a bit that could plane the edges to the full depth as well as cut the round over and quirk at the same time but I can see now that that is not possible .
Thanks for all your helpful advice everyone

Back