Help with identifying a chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello:

I have an older 3/16" chisel, the bolster is clearly hand forged. It has simple turned beech handle with a brass ferrel but I am curious if anyone can help with the name of the maker. It is not very clear but it seems to say D HALE BROS LTD with some letters below it which I think are the last half of the name Sheffield. For sure it is not London.

Anyone come across that name? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

According to Simon Barley's Book on British Saw-Makers, there was a firm called 'Hale Brothers' in Sheffield at Moorfields Works 11, Allen Street 1884 -89, latterly Snow Lane 1893 -1974.

They were, apparently, cutlers (Sheffield was the British centre of cutlery/knife-making) and factors of other makes of tools.

'Hale' is quite common, so there may well be others with the same name.
Hope that this helps, good luck.

According to Simon Barley's Book on British Saw-Makers, there was a firm called 'Hale Brothers' in Sheffield at Moorfields Works 11, Allen Street 1884 -89, latterly Snow Lane 1893 -1974.

They were, apparently, cutlers (Sheffield was the British centre of cutlery/knife-making) and factors of other makes of tools.

'Hale' is quite common, so there may well be others with the same name.
Hope that this helps, good luck.

Thanks for the information, when I looked up Hale Brothers Sheffield I saw the image of a horse's head that was their logo. I realized that what I thought was a "D" could be part of the lower right section of the horse head logo. The logo is at a right angle to the name so it was not obvious what it was when I found the faint stamped in name. I think my mystery may be solved. I think the chisel is at least pre WW II but may be older than that. Without a catalogue I can't pin it down but this chisel is a user for me in an unusual size so I am happy just to know who made it. Thanks again.

No Problem, Rick....... I'd suggest that it's pre-Boer War if it came from the Allen Street days!
All my chisels are 'pre-war'...... never sure which war!

I hope that it sharpens up and is a good user.

My dad had a Hale bros paring chisel, It was his favorite & is now much shorter than i remember it as a child.
It is now one of my favorites & easily the equal of a Mathesion. Enjoy!

Back