Help with identification please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
On a walk I discovered some logs left from a fallen tree someone had cleared from the road. I'm not sure of the species, and wondered whether it was worth going back to collect some.
This is the tree species
IMG_5623_zps1bd644cb.jpg

And this is what's in the branches
IMG_5625_zpsc899b896.jpg~original

Anyone able to help?

I think it's probably ash. Remaining seed pods looks like bunches of keys and although it's hard to tell from the pics, the buds look like ash buds (if they were black, its definitely ash!).

I think ash is most likely then. It's hard to tell the colour from the photo, but it it is a greeny/gold colour. The silver birch I was given last year is much lighter. The pods are black.
Back up tomorrow with the car then I think. Maybe grab some more of the hawthorn I brought home today.
Thankee kindly

Definitely Ash, seeds, and buds are unmistakable.

Ditto, and yes it IS worth going back! Ash is lovely to work with and you never know, it might start to get hard to get hold of in the future. :(

hansonread":7us5jq7d said:
Fraxinus excelsior most probably but it is defiantly a Oleaceae of some description.

Oleaceae other than Ash? In Stirling?????

(OK, so we've got two olive trees up beyond Aberdeen, but they cower in the kitchen half the year :( )

dickm":2esjgv77 said:
hansonread":2esjgv77 said:
Fraxinus excelsior most probably but it is defiantly a Oleaceae of some description.

Oleaceae other than Ash? In Stirling?????

(OK, so we've got two olive trees up beyond Aberdeen, but they cower in the kitchen half the year :( )

Ha new to this forum thing and only just realised it says on the left where abouts you live! Maybe not an olive tree then! ha

Latest posts

Back