Help with HVLP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhill Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried my new B&Q sprayer today and the results were to be honest a disaster, I have been trying to spray some matt emulsion but no matter how I adjust the settings on either paint flow or air I cannot get a decent fine spray pattern and keep getting small splodges mixed in with the spray.

I have tried the paint thin and then added more paint to thicken it, all without sucess, I have also stripped it down and cleaned it and tried the bigger nizzle.

Is it the type of paint I am using or does anyone nkow of any tricks i am missing.

Thanks Philly
but yes I am using the small nozzle , in fact I tried them both, the big nozzle was worse than the smaller I can only think it is either the type of paint or probably my gun is faulty.

One last point which may be obvious, is the gun supposed to be a constant bleed, I have air coming out as soon as I turn the motor on before the trigger is pulled on the gun, although i do'nt think this would affect the spraying , I just cannot get a fine even spray pattern.

I can't really help you. Only to say that, I didn't have much luck with mine. I managed to fiddle with the controls to get minimum blobs. But in all the finish wasn't great and I can't see me using it again (other then to spray fences). I must say that this system has had such great reviews that I can only assume my problems were down to my own personal technique.

RR
It is meant to constantly blow (if you know what I mean!)
Have you tried higher air and lower feed?? Somewhere there is a perfect balance between viscosity, air flow and feed. Keep playing until you find it and you're away! I used it on oil based primer and egg shell-no problems! Vinyl was a little trickier and experienced similar problems-maybe filtering the paint will help?
Dont give up,
Philly :D

I think even expensive three and four stage HVLP turbines struggle with emulsion paints.

Back