Help with handtools in South Yorkshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claus10

Reaction score
Hello!

Bit of a strange request - I started woodworking as during the pandemic and it really helped me manage the stresses at work at the time. As things have eased I have been trying to learn how to use hand tools and have acquired a couple of hand planes from garage sales/eBay.

Is there anyone around South Yorkshire who would be able to spare a few hours to teach me how to set up and use hand planes effectively? I'm based in Sheffield.

Thanks

Hi Claus

It would be worth doing a quick google search to see if anyone offers a course on setup and sharpening of hand planes/chisels. I was looking a while ago and there are a few places that offer one or two days courses. Can’t remember if any were in the Sheffield area though.

Cheers
Pete

Welcome to the hand tool hobby! If you don't find anyone local willing to give you a demo, there's some really great resources on YouTube to get you going. The first two that comes to mind are from Paul Sellers who does a great job explaining the basics of getting working with planes. The two vids worth watching are:

And if you've got an older plane(s):

Thanks for the feedback, the videos are really helpful. I'll look out for some courses locally. If anyone knows of any please let me know!

How about finding a local men's shed they will have someone perhaps two who knows tier way around planes, chisels and sharpening.

Cheers James

Drop in here if it's not too far away (near Matlock) 45 minutes if you avoid rush hours.

nice one @Jacob (y)

No leading him astray with weird sharpening habits now. Just a simple rounded bevel is all he needs;)

nice one @Jacob (y)

No leading him astray with weird sharpening habits now. Just a simple rounded bevel is all he needs;)
Just traditional sharpening and tool fettling.
It's what everybody used to do and is easiest, quickest, cheapest.
Even if you want to venture off into the world of crazy sharpening it's still the best starting point for beginners and also the fall back solution if you find yourself in a strange place without crazy sharpening gadgets and kit.

Just traditional sharpening and tool fettling.
It's what everybody used to do and is easiest, quickest, cheapest.
Even if you want to venture off into the world of crazy sharpening it's still the best starting point for beginners and also the fall back solution if you find yourself in a strange place without crazy sharpening gadgets and kit.
Come to think - does it amount to "trade secrets" which the amateur world seems to know nothing about - they just buy daft gadgets and masses of expensive kit instead?
Have I got any more? :unsure: Well maybe how to use an OBM chisel counts, a lot of people seem not to know? Getting an Old Pigsticker Ready for Work

Back