Help with finish for outside cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
This will be a first for me. I have been ask to cut a sign to be hung outside in Michigan. It will get the nasty weather....The customer wants it stained. I do not what to use on top of the stain to protect it against the weather. Remember there will be cut out areas in the sign. Suggestions would be really helpful at this time.......before I start cutting.
Also....will it make a difference in the species of wood that I use for this. I can't used the treated stuff as I can't afford the blades I would go thru trying to cut it.....Nasty stuff to try to cut on a scroll saw I understand.....Thinking of using regular pine to keep the cost down for the customer.
Lin

Hi Lin

Since nobody else has picked up on this yet, I'll take a shot. Mind, most of my external stuff gets covered in paint :) .

You might want to reconsider your choice of wood - pine isn't terribly durable whereas oak can withstand a lot of weather without any finish at all. That's got to be an important factor when you consider the amount of end grain that's going to be exposed to the elements.

My preferred choice of finish would be a base and top coat of Sikkens Cetol, but that'd be expensive for a small project. I think a polyurethane like Minwax Clear Shield would be more suitable.

Gill

How about using redwood. Soak it in a clear wet and dry rot preservative and finish off with Ronseal 5 year stain and varnish. Just a suggestion but any comments would be appreciated.

Les

Back