Help with dewalt thicknesser/planer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilwilkinson

Reaction score
Am a home/hobby woodworker out of garage. Bought a DeWalt DW733 planer last April. Last August it went back for repair when the house electrics blew and the motor had to be replaced. Not used it much since but then this week same happened again. The electrics in the house blew and planer stopped working. They are coming to repair it again, presumably another new motor. The warranty expires end of March and concerned that if it keeps happening it'll just be no use. Is it likely there's a fault with the machine or is the issue that I'm using it in a garage without a separate electric supply ... don't know anything about electrics!

I had one of those and worked just fine on 13amp plug.

When it "blew" the house electrics, was it just one of the breakers (MCBs) or the whole house supply -likely to be on a RCD - the big switch at one end of the "fuse" box.

BTW the DW733 is not a planer, just a thicknesser.

not sure (at work now) will have to check when get home ... know all the power went off throughout the house, alarm clocks upstairs, gas cooker timer etc

if the motor goes then it's nothing to do with the supply, it's a faulty motor - unless you were misusing it in some way- overload, stalling motor etc.
If not your fault and it carries on being faulty it's still their responsibility even after the warranty expires as it was clearly not fit for purpose from the start.

Myfordman":3m55rxjz said:
I had one of those and worked just fine on 13amp plug.

When it "blew" the house electrics, was it just one of the breakers (MCBs) or the whole house supply -likely to be on a RCD - the big switch at one end of the "fuse" box.

BTW the DW733 is not a planer, just a thicknesser.

NeilWilkinson: checked the fuse box and the MCB switches were fine, it flipped off one labelled under RCCB Split-Load. Don't know anything about electrics,think it might be best to get an electrician to check where I'm using the machine and our power supply just in case that's the problem and not the machine?

OK that suggests there could still be a fault with the machine and just possibly with your installation. A quick test. clean any shavings off the machine and then take it indoors, plug it into a 13 amp socket as near to your fusebox as possible and see if it still trips the rccb. If it does I would suspect the machine more than the installation.
There are other tests you could do but given your lack of electrical confidence, I'll not mention them here as there are some risks associated with them.

thanks ... will try this simple test first then may get an electrician round if inconclusive rather than blow up the house!!!! machine being collected for repair again friday.

There is absolutely minimal risk of blowing up the house. Things like the RCCBs are there to protect you from that. Sometime they are hypersensitive and give nuisance trips which is when to seek professional help.
Describe the fault to DW and hopefully they will analyse the problem if it is anything to do with the machine or its power lead.

I've got an Aminster ADE2200 dust extractor with a similar sized motor (2HP). It used to blow the fuses every time I switched on and really needed 16amp supply to start it up, but fine when running. I fixed it with a bit of 5amp fuse wire (should have sent it back really) which I don't advise, but am told that circuit breakers have different specifications even with the same basic current rating (13 amp), and another one would handle it. That's all I know , me no electrician!

Jacob, your motor is a completely different type from Neils. Yours is an induction motor and will have a humungous starting current and that needs a type C breaker. No greater current rating but slower to react so it tolerates the high starting current.

Myfordman":3uo6fu8g said:
Jacob, your motor is a completely different type from Neils. Yours is an induction motor and will have a humungous starting current and that needs a type C breaker. No greater current rating but slower to react so it tolerates the high starting current.
OK thanks. I thought our OP might have same prob.

Back