Help with chucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flubaluba

Reaction score
Hi all

I am sure this has been asked before but am still getting used to browsing the forum and cannot find any recent topics about chucks.Firstly let me say that i am totally new to turning and have only ever used a masterchuck which did not get on with and soon got rid of. It only had 7mm movement in the jaws and is almost the same as a collet chuck from what i understand and i would prefer something a little easier to use.

What do people think of the charnwood 830 or 836 chucks, i am tempted to get the 830 as it has the same thread as my lathe so no insert needed and jaws are only £15 a set.
Also what do people think of the xt7000 chuck , it is a reasonable price around £80 with 3 sets of jaws included.
And the Nova G3 , i like this chuck for some reason and have heard a lot of good things about it when browsing the net for reviews although it is right at the top of my budget at the moment.

Any advice on these chucks much appreciated, and if there are any suggestions for something similar in price please let me know.

If anyone has any second hand chucks for sale preferably with sealed internal gears and easy one hand tightening like the above please let me know i am not particular to new if i can save a bit buying something second hand.
Sorry forgot to mention my lathe is a jet 1014 and the thread is 1" 8tpi.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

Andrew

That certainly does look like a bargain, and free delivery and an extra 14% off for the jubilee sale. So i would be paying £68 delivered , not bad price wise, just wondering if the quality is good, it does have a 10 year guarantee and takes supernova jaws as well, so seems a bargain. Just don't know if i should click the button or not...

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. Where in the uk are you? I think the Axi chucks are excellent and I have the K8 and K10.

For some reason i do not like the K series of chucks as the gear is on the outside, saying that i am a newbie so know nothing at all about chucks, it just does not appeal to me. I think at the moment the Dakota is the one i am going for and not just for the sale price but the fact that the gears are sealed at the back and the jaws are interchangeable with the supernova jaws.

I have just finished watching a video on youtube by Mike Peace (01h28m33s) and wanted to provide the link here as i found it really informative for learning different ways to hold wood in a lathe , some really simple methods and some not so simple, with loads of hints and tips , I think any newbie like myself will not waste the 1 hr 28 min watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UXil-5dEeo

hi andrew
i have to agree with noggsy.
axminster chucks are well worth the money and their customer service is second to none in my opinion.
i have the axminster 100mm precision chuck - its not available from them at the moment and regularly use a k10 at a friends.
best of luck with whatever you decide to get
cheers
paul-c

Hi Andrew,
Chucks are a pretty personal issue but it's a good idea to think about your potential future needs.

Buying a cheap chuck can be a bit of a dead end if they are not very precisely made and/or have a limited jaw selection. It may not be right for you for other reasons but spending as bit more on the chuck body now (from Axminster or Nova etc) may mean you spend less in the longer term.

HTH
Jon

Well i jumped in with both feet and got the dakota or xt7000. for the price i felt it was good value and from what i have read and seen believe it could be a rebadged Nova as it does take all of there jaws.Also on this forum it seems like a few members bought one of these and are very very happy.

So upon receipt i took it out of the box, it really does look good, a nice feel when threading it onto the lathe, only one problem. I think I got a factory second as when opening and closing the jaws it jams, not totally but enough that you have to use a little force to get past the jam. with regular use i suspect this could cause damage to the gears or the jaws.

As said above , I believe a lot of members of the forum have purchased this chuck and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. It was delivered very very fast, ordered yesterday just after my last post and received it this morning at 11:30.

A pity i could not use it but i have asked for another one to be sent that has been tested.
I am not sure about the replacement procedures with Rutland, but will be rather upset if i have to pay for sending it back to them.
Am I being too critical, is it normal to have a slight jam when opening and closing the jaws? I doubt it as it is supposed to be such a high precision tool.

I did mount a pen blank in the jaws supplied and to be honest it holds it very very solidly and everything looks very well machined on the outside.

Oh well i will see how the replacement goes and let you all know.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
You did the right thing sending it back. It should operate smoothly right from the start. One of the reasons chucks like this are inexpensive, relatively speaking, is likely due to poorer quality control than on a more expensive brand.
I used to have one myself and had no problems with it. Are you sure it is compatible with Nova jaws? I think it has different size jaw retaining screws, for a start.
There are other threads on the forum where this chuck has been discussed, wwhich you might want to check out.

Ian

Oh well i realised what i did wrong, yup it was my fault. I was resting the chuck on the table when i was testing it for smooth operation. Can anyone guess what i found after checking it again. :) yup the bottom Allen key insert was resting on the table and the cloth it was resting on was getting caught, causing it to jam. Glad i caught this before returning it and feeling more embarrassed than i already feel.
Will get it up and running tomorrow and see how it works. :)

Latest posts

Back