Help with choosing & setting up an IP camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I want to buy and set up an IP camera, the camera has to be waterproof as it's going outside, hopefully not too expensive but I realise you get what you pay for. Can anyone tell me what hardware/software I need to do this, the idea behind the IP camera is so that I can monitor it via the internet whilst I'm away on holiday. I'd prefer a wireless camera/set up if possible.

As you can probably tell I'm totally newbie to this and don't know where to start, so if there's anyone who could explain in layman's terms what I need I'd be most grateful.

MTIA

Steve

Thanks Roger, I've done the googling bit but is it really as simple as putting up the camera and that's it ?

Is there any hardware that has to be attached the PC ?

Steve :)

Hi Steve

To be able to run it on the PC you would need a wireless reciever, the software that come's with the camera to be able to set it up and run it on your PC. One thing you might need to think about though, is how long will you be away because you will have to leave your PC on for the time you are away.

You can get them for DVD recorders that work in the same way, ie: they will be motion detected so that when someone walks within reach the software will start the recording for you so when you get home anything that has happened will be recorded on the hard drive in the DVD recorder.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

I already have a wireless receiver so looks like I'm sorted, just need to make a decision on a camera.

Steve, I'll search back through the forum and have a look.

Steve

tisdai":k8bqkex0 said:
Hi Steve

To be able to run it on the PC you would need a wireless reciever, the software that come's with the camera to be able to set it up and run it on your PC. One thing you might need to think about though, is how long will you be away because you will have to leave your PC on for the time you are away.

You can get them for DVD recorders that work in the same way, ie: they will be motion detected so that when someone walks within reach the software will start the recording for you so when you get home anything that has happened will be recorded on the hard drive in the DVD recorder.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

I think that you will find that the camera I linked to is standalone and needs no local PC. Just picks up an IP address from the router and away you go. Might have to play around with router settings to allow port forwarding maybe but usually these come with instructions.

I was looking at the recording side of it Roger, if somthing does happen then you have got evidence of it on either the PC or DVD recorder.

Cheers

Dave

Back