Help with best London Pattern handles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

Major Clanger
Reaction score
I have a batch of old boxwood and would like to make some best London pattern handles for some I Sorby cast steel paring gouges and chisels I've bought.

The gouges and chisels aren't here, but they range from 1/4"-1 1/2' in 1/8" increments. I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to measure their handles, if they have some and post the sizes in relation to the chisel/gouge widths.

Specifically I'd like:

O/A Length, end of handle to base of ferrule
Dome OD
Diameter of the handle at the flats.
Length of flats.
Ferrule size OD.
Chisel width.

I know it's a bit of an ask, but thanks in advance.

Out of all the dozens of chisels, gouges etc, that I have or have made handles for..... only one is Best London Pattern... old original are quite scarce, though there's a page of Ward handles from a 1911 catalogue in R A Salaman's dictionary of tools that you can scale up or down from.....(fig 197 - page 132 in my edition).

Sorry it isn't a Sorby, but better than that - it's a Marples.... :):). It's pre-decimal in my workshop, so the sizes I've given are in inches.

Here's the Dimensions:

O/A Length, end of handle to base of ferrule - 5 - 3/4 "
Dome OD - 1" (the length of the dome along the axis section is 3/4 ")
Diameter of the handle at the flats. - 1 - 1/8"
Length of flats. - 2 - 7/16 "
Ferrule size OD. - 11/16 (the same in length)
Chisel width. - 5/8 "

Additionally, the diameter of the belly immediately above the ferrule is 1" and the diameter of the waist above it, by the flats, is 5/8"

London Pattern.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you want this pattern? I have a gents saw with one of those handles and it isn't all that nice to use.

what are peoples thoughts on wooden chisel handles? I've always adored boxwood but found it a bit brittle. I much prefer plastic handles( sorry) and I don't really like blue chip style as the hitting bit is to small. the grey and yellow Stanley's are my favourites tbh.
I saw an amazing pig sticker at the car boot 1/4 an stamped 1917 with a broad arrow. that had a huge Ash handle no ferrules nowt. for pushing I've liked the holtzappel style in box. there must be at least a dozen styles

Now I have used this pattern for many years and loved the feel of them, the ones I could not get on with were the segmented oval (for want of a better word)
In fact at one time I made a set out of plastic butchers block material for taking out on site work that did not matter if they got damaged.

Work chisels.jpeg

Edit: add image

Last edited:
Can I ask why you want this pattern? I have a gents saw with one of those handles and it isn't all that nice to use.

Precisely, Peter. I wondered that.

They look the part, very nice to see, top of the range ....... in the days when chisels were bought un-handled at the ironmonger, Best London Pattern in boxwood were the most expensive option in a large range of available handles. But, there was a big divide between the Gentleman Joiner's Collection in His Cabinet and a journeyman carpenter spending his hard-earned cash.

On the plus side, they don't readily roll off the bench.......however, as a working interface between hand and blade, grasping the multiple corners of one of these in earnest all day is not a pleasant experience. As far as my little one is concerned, it's a lovely bit of kit, but not the first chisel that I reach for.

I hope that the OP puts up some pictures showing the progress of this fascinating project..... he's evidently an exceptionally skilled individual, judging by some of the marvelous carved stuff he's posted to show us the extensive range of his work......

I've made a few and find them comfortable to use. One thing I would say when you make your own is to ensure that a flat on the handle is in exactly the same plane as the blade of the chisel, they can feel a bit odd to use if it's offset.

Thanks all, it's good to hear about the experiences of other people.

They're for paring and are going on long thin paring gouges and chisels, with the round end of the handle pushed with my torso. I won't be hitting them with a mallet as the tool will likely snap in half.

What I do hit with force is beech and ash handles, but I use a urethane mallet which I think is the dogs as it doesn't make a racket. It's also easy on the handles.

what are peoples thoughts on wooden chisel handles? I've always adored boxwood but found it a bit brittle. I much prefer plastic handles( sorry) and I don't really like blue chip style as the hitting bit is to small. the grey and yellow Stanley's are my favourites tbh.
I saw an amazing pig sticker at the car boot 1/4 an stamped 1917 with a broad arrow. that had a huge Ash handle no ferrules nowt. for pushing I've liked the holtzappel style in box. there must be at least a dozen styles

I really like the feel and look of well cared for wooden handles. I also enjoy reading the names stamped on the handles and like to think about who these men were, where they worked and what they made.

It's clear when you've got a good, well looked after used chisel with someones name on it that they were valued tools, which were closely guarded and most likely never lent out.

I wonder what the former owners would think of my efforts. I imagine there would be lots of tutting, shaking of heads and muttered rebukes.

Back