Help with angled tray legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm making some low baltic birch ply trays to hold plant pots, but I need some advice with the legs.

The legs I want to use are turned solid wood with an M8 thread (all off the shelf), like the picture below, and screwed into a metal plate on the underside of the trays. The problem I'm having is the legs' shape means there's only one "correct" orientation for each one when it's screwed in, and it's difficult to hit this at the same point the legs become fully screwed in and tight. A bit difficult to explain, but the leg can basically only point out towards its corner or it won't stand straight or look right. Imagine a three legged stool...

I can play with the threads and the starting positions for each leg, but it's slow going and I want to make a few of these. I could just go with straight legs and avoid the problem, but it doesn't look as good. With the amount of furniture I see with these angled legs nowadays, there must be a better way to get a tight fit that's also angled correctly. Any ideas? I've thought about using those angled plates with straight legs, but I then can't see a simple way to then get the feet to sit fully flat on the floor.

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
Can the plates be attached in any orientation? If so, assemble the leg to its plate, offer it up to the tray at the desired angle and mark the position of the plate.
Brian

I have a sofa with exactly that problem. I have drilled an angled hole and used small headed screws to hold the legs in the correct orientation. There doesn't seem to be a way of guaranteeing correct orientation during manufacture. I helped a friend assemble an IKEA sofa a while ago and the leg was predrilled for a screw to fix the orientation .

Can the plates be attached in any orientation? If so, assemble the leg to its plate, offer it up to the tray at the desired angle and mark the position of the plate.
Brian
Try
Hi everyone, I'm making some low baltic birch ply trays to hold plant pots, but I need some advice with the legs.

The legs I want to use are turned solid wood with an M8 thread (all off the shelf), like the picture below, and screwed into a metal plate on the underside of the trays. The problem I'm having is the legs' shape means there's only one "correct" orientation for each one when it's screwed in, and it's difficult to hit this at the same point the legs become fully screwed in and tight. A bit difficult to explain, but the leg can basically only point out towards its corner or it won't stand straight or look right. Imagine a three legged stool...

I can play with the threads and the starting positions for each leg, but it's slow going and I want to make a few of these. I could just go with straight legs and avoid the problem, but it doesn't look as good. With the amount of furniture I see with these angled legs nowadays, there must be a better way to get a tight fit that's also angled correctly. Any ideas? I've thought about using those angled plates with straight legs, but I then can't see a simple way to then get the feet to sit fully flat on the floor.
try thin washers on the threaded stud so it tightens in the correct orientation

Back