help with age of table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken andrews

Established Member
Reaction score
i have saved a small table from the skip, where really it should have stayed, it came from a pub so I'm guessing it was possibly a card table ,the shelves are ply not sure about the top until sanded back but looks solid and promising, can anyone put a date on this, I'm guessing 1960s and also anyone got any ideas as to what they would do as regards to upcycling, yes I know it should have stayed in the skip but I have this thing about saving and reusing old furniture

Attachments

• 20220115_145750.jpg
    20220115_145750.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220115_145804.jpg
    20220115_145804.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 79
That top does look promising as solid wood. I would be tempted to just chemically remove the varnish on the top and see if you can get away with light sanding. You may have to stain it to match the legs before re-varnishing it though. I actually like it. I think it's a nice find.

Wait a bit........ can anything usable really belong in a skip?
Of cause it cannot....... except maybe from a strictly legal point of wiew.
It was missplaced in a skip and you put it back where it belongs. In a house being used.
Well done!

Even a ply-topped table could be 100 years old now. The question is, is it a good table, age is a bit irrelevant.

Unless you want a table like that, you might have just taken on someone else’s rubbish, charitable of you :)

I thought domino, the shelf below should be the right height for a pint tankard so the playing surface remains unobstructed and the pint safe from being knocked over when the arms start flying. Room for your 'baccy pouch and pipe or cigarette papers as well.

Depending on what you want it for, a quick fix is to clean it up as best you can and put a small square tablecloth on it until you decide on its permanent home.

Last edited:
So much like this gets scrapped, well done for rescuing it. If you don't find a place for it free cycle or the bay

Back