Help with a Tyme "Avon"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid64

Reaction score
My names Les and like to turn bowls - there i admit it!

So i have a Tyme "Avon" lathe and I think it might benefit from a handwheel on the left of the headstock. I can move the switchgear out of the way but that end of the shaft has no threads or taper - What do you suggest (without spending)?

Be nice I'm learning! had the lathe 2 months

Don't think i can put pic's up yet so not tried but as soon as i can, i will, so we'll all be on the same page!

Sorby patriot
Sorby 6pce toolset
couple of bits that i got with the lathe
And the will to keep at it - 'cos i'm hooked in!

Cheers, Les

I have a Tyme Avon and am not sure why you want a hand wheel on the left of the headstock? The head stock swivels and if you have the full kit you should have an extension that you can bolt on the bottom to do larger bowls away from the bed. I can't see what purpose a hand wheel would serve, maybe I am being thick here LOL?

Pete

Bodrighy":2g2n46fn said:
I have a Tyme Avon and am not sure why you want a hand wheel on the left of the headstock? The head stock swivels and if you have the full kit you should have an extension that you can bolt on the bottom to do larger bowls away from the bed. I can't see what purpose a hand wheel would serve, maybe I am being thick here LOL?

Cheers Pete, nah mate, not thick!. I have the extension but i thought a wheel would help with swapping to the faceplate or the screw 'thingy' for bowls. A wheel looks a bit more user friendly so thought i would ask.
I havn't been 'outside' yet, it's still early days.

Les

As an ex-Avon-user, never found a need for a handwheel, but it would be a relatively simple item to turn. There's lots of designs for these for metalworking lathes, but making one in wood should follow the same principle. Make a wheel and attach it to a hardwood "tube" that fits closely into the non-business-end of the headstock spindle. Work a female taper on the inside end of the tube, make a couple of sawcuts in this end and make a male tapered cone that can be drawn into the female taper by a threaded rod through the tube. This then expands the tube to grip inside the spindle. In effect, you're making a male collet.
But, of course, you would lose the facility to use a knockout bar for removing MT centres if you do this.

Thanks Dick, That might be the answer, as i can still use mt centre in my chuck (can't I?) if i need it, plus, it's removable for ouboard work so i still have the depth for a bowl!

Cheers, Les

druid64":23q71z07 said:
Thanks Dick, That might be the answer, as i can still use mt centre in my chuck (can't I?) if i need it, plus, it's removable for ouboard work so i still have the depth for a bowl!

Sorry, you've lost me there :?:. Provided you have room behind the lathe to swing the headstock into the bowl turning position, the handle won't make any difference? Or am I forgetting something - it's a few years since I sold the Avon?
As you say, if you use centres in your chuck, there's no problem removing them.

Sorry, you've lost me there :?:. Provided you have room behind the lathe to swing the headstock into the bowl turning position, the handle won't make any difference? Or am I forgetting something - it's a few years since I sold the Avon?
As you say, if you use centres in your chuck, there's no problem removing them.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, If i go out board i can turn between centres saving myself 3 inches (no chuck) until i put on a tenon for chucking it. With a handle, as you said, i wont be able to get the centre out.
Probably as clear as mud now! lol

Les

Back