help with a table saw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":id92hml4 said:
[a series of polls, oh moderating one? What d'you use to cut sheet goods, solid wood (x-cut), solid wood (rip) and any others I can't currently think of 'cos the cider's kicking in now... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Yep, sounds good to me

Jealous now 'cause I don't have any cider :cry:

Did dig up my first ever home grown parsnips about 3 hours ago :) - just cooked and ate them :p and am left wondering what the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, Asda et al are selling, that look like parsnips and smell like parsnips 'cause it sure ain't parsnips ( I now know what parsnips should taste like!!!!!)

Tony":a7zejhdt said:
Did dig up my first ever home grown parsnips about 3 hours ago :) - just cooked and ate them :p and am left wondering what the likes of Tesco, Morrisons, Asda et al are selling, that look like parsnips and smell like parsnips 'cause it sure ain't parsnips ( I now know what parsnips should taste like!!!!!)

Ooooooh, I'm drooling! I'll swap you some home grown parsnips for my home-made chutney ;) :).

By the way, at the risk of displaying my ignorance yet again, what does 'SCMS' stand for?

Gill

GillD":3yzz034j said:
Ooooooh, I'm drooling! I'll swap you some home grown parsnips for my home-made chutney ;) :).

By the way, at the risk of displaying my ignorance yet again, what does 'SCMS' stand for?

Gill

It's a deal :)

I was too embarrased to ask about the SCMS :oops:

What is the difference between a site saw/contractors saw and a table saw as i have been browsing some web sites and have noticed that they dont seem aswell made as a standard table saw and are often much cheaper. And would anybody recommend me considering one?

Derek.

Derek,

A site saw is meant for taking from site to site in/on the back of a van.
They are generally lighter, often with folding legs and carrying handles built in. They tend not to be as accurate as a table or cabinet saw.
However some of the top of the range site saws are better than the very cheap saw tables, eg the B&Q one I just gave away. :shock:

Midnight":2lvvmp6d said:
derek.. help me out here... frame building...???

What i mean is that i fit frames for bathrooms, bedroom wardrobes (the fitted type) and the like. I know what you are going to say why don't you buy the wood pre cut. but sometimes well most of the time it has to be modified due to the width of the opening and also the wood that i use is not the best quality as its for a support frame so you don't see it thus costing less and its easier for me to measure on site and cut at home the day or night before.

Derek.

Derek, here's my scant knowledge of TSs:
Starting at the smallest:

Bench top and bench top with legs, direct drive, brush motor, poor fence.
As above with legs.

As above, better components, higher price, bigger table, slightly better fence.
Better models have induction motors, more money, more add ons and
accessories available

A variant on the above is the site saw, generally pressed steel table with larger outfeed portion, open motor, better ones have induction motor. Lightish and easily transportable.

A mixture of all of the above encased in a cabinet, mobile base and sliding table options etc. Mostly ally tables but lately more cast iron tables from Europe and the Far East becoming available.

Hybrid saws, a mixture of US style contractors saw and proper cabinet saws (the difference being that the trunions are attached to the table top rather than the cabinet itself) all with cast iron and cabinet rather than legs. Enclosed dust extraction. DW 746, Jet SS, Fox etc.

Cabinet saws, Unisaw, Xcaliber, larger Schepach, EB etc. Usually serious money and generally good quality, large and heavy.

Lastly the Hammer, Rojcek, Felder, larger Jets etc. Mega money, generally professional and production use.

No doubt I've missed some, or missed variants of the above. Price wise from £29.99 to about £20K+.

Noel

Just to complicate matters re table saw, could a radial saw do the work of a table saw.
I made the mistake of buying a site saw instead of a proper table saw and although it's a good quality machine, its to big for my work shop and its cross cutting accuracy is poor.

Jim

Gower":1pow97p7 said:
Just to complicate matters re table saw, could a radial saw do the work of a table saw

A RAS is far more versatile than a tablesaw and can be used to rip safely (although many folk will tell you differently) . However, it takes up a lot of space and its rip capacity is limited by the length of the arm and in practice on a small RAS this means that the max width you could rip will be not more than 2 feet. RAS are not very good at holding their settings when you move the motor and arm about for different cuts and many folk find them difficult to set up and maintain for accurate cutting.

I sold a RAS I was very fond of because I needed the space - kept a tablesaw in preference.

Thanks Chris,
I guess it's a question of compromise when you have a small workspace.

Jim

Back