Help with a shopping list - What would you buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
Learned Woodwork Folks,

The subject is a bit "how long is a piece of string" but...

I have just found out that I am going to the States this weekend with work for a week and obviously I want to take advantage of the great exchange rate and cheaper prices.

However, given the short notice and a busy schedule this week I can't spend the hours of research and cogitation I like to put in before spending those pennies.

I need your help to stop me wasting my money and make the best of the opportunity to save some. ( I can see it now - to SWMBO - "by spending this much I saved THIS much!")b:D

The closest shop is http://www.woodcraft.com in San Carlos.

Anyway my list of needs/wants so far is:

1)Sharpening kit for chisels and planes.

Using scary sharp at the moment which has been ok but a bit fiddly. No idea here as I have read some many different opinions on this stone or that stone. I don't have water in the garage so I guess that means no water stones without a lot of hassle. Looking at the cost of DMT stones I want to get the right ones first time. What would make up a nice balanced set? (Also need something to sharpen router cutters).

2) Moisture meter: Wagner Digital Pinless Moisture Meter MMC 205 #143611 Price: $194.99

3)Items to building a router table.

I like the look of the Incra Ultra Lite carriage and then making my own "wonder fence". I can't find a price on their website yet.

Not sure about router lifters/rasiers. I was think about using a freud FT2000VCE and buying something in unilift style, but have recently got to thinking if I bought a T11 then I would not need a raiser as it appears build it. Not looked into this too deeply yet. What do you folks think or am I barking up the wrong tree?

3) Boxed Set of 3 Engineers Squares 2,4,6" #141672 Price: $34.99

4) A Block Plane - Again something I know is very useful and have managed without so far, but which one would you suggest?

5) Anything else that takes your fancy or looks useful

Having been burnt by "buy cheaply and repent at your leisure" I am happy to spend a bit more quality.

If anyone wants anything picked up feel free to pm me. ( No tablesaws or pillar drills though!)

Many Thanks

Ed

Ed,

1. DMT stones, Black (V. Coarse) Red (medium) and Green (fine) would be good
2. Wagner meter is a good choice
3. If you don't wish to spend on a router lift, then the T11 or the Triton have built-in raisers that can be used under the table. A Unilift or similar would allow you to use any router at the cost of some loss in plunge depth that can be compensated by using a router extension (all extra cost of course)
4. Cheap squares may be had over here at the same sort of price
5.Without a doubt I would recommend the Lie Nielsen small bronze low angle block plane (102) as the most useful. They now make the same plane in iron for $20 less but I have not used that one.
6.Whatever price you see for Incra stuff, compare it with these folk http://www.woodpeck.com/routersystems.html

Have a great trip!

Most online US websites will now deliver to Hotels. Worth keeping in mind!

Lie Nielsen low angle block plane

the incra is fantastic. I have the Ultra 24 and cannot believe I managed for years with out it !!

Rather than a router raizer etc., lookat the Triton router which is made specifically for tables - I reviewed mine on the forum a while back

Have a good trip

Ed":2qwgqxrw said:
1)Sharpening kit for chisels and planes.
Never tried the extra coarse (black) DMT, but I think I'd probably go for that rather than the coarse (blue) which I have, plus a fine (red) and for router cutters extra fine (green). For planes and such I don't think the diamond stones give a fine enough polish (for want of a better word) for really good work, so personally I'd add a fine oilstone in there too - translucent or hard black Arkansas.

2) Moisture meter: Wagner Digital Pinless Moisture Meter MMC 205 #143611 Price: $194.99
3)Items to building a router table.
No idea :(

3) Boxed Set of 3 Engineers Squares 2,4,6" #141672 Price: $34.99
I agree with Chris; you can do just as well over here and they're heavy.

4) A Block Plane - Again something I know is very useful and have managed without so far, but which one would you suggest?
Either of the L-N low angle blocks - the adjustable mouth gives you a bit more flexibility but the bronze one is a favourite of mine too. Alternatively I'm sure Lee Valley would move heaven and earth to get one of their's to your hotel in time if you wanted. Either option will give you a darn fine plane and a good shove down The Slope.

5) Anything else that takes your fancy or looks useful
Hah! You said you've only got to the weekend. I'd be here a month just deciding what to suggest. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Router cutters would be a good idea, Ed - much cheaper, better selection, and easy to carry back.

Cheers,
Neil

Without wishing to pee on your fireworks remember that the customs limit is a misely £145.

Of course if you don't get caught you're alright. If you do get caught it will more than wipe out any savings and SWMBO will have a field day. Having all that hardware in a suitcase will also give the x-ray people a fun time.

That said I'd go for it!! :D :D

ed what about an osborn eb3 for your t/saw or a veritis scraper set and burnisher (page 9.24 in the axminster catalogue less than half the price in the states ) go on you know you want them :p :p :p

How could you go to the US and think of coming back without an Eclipse Scroll Saw? :shock:

I certainly wouldn't be able to resist the temptation, even if I had a bit of explaining to do at the airport about the weight of my hand luggage 8) :D .

Gill

PS - No matter how the shopping goes, have fun :) .

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - as always all very helpful.

Will get some time to surf around tomorrow - so I probably have more questions then. :)

Cheers

Ed

Neil":12q7z7y9 said:
Router cutters would be a good idea, Ed - much cheaper, better selection, and easy to carry back.

Agreed - and small enough to look cheap if customs folk start looking :whistle:

Cheers

Tim

ed can you not come back on the boat just think no baggage weight limit mark it all down as repaired or gift items :wink: :wink: :wink:

Back