Help with a fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am going to explain this right. I am making a new display stand. There are two uprights 4 feet apart and 4 cross members. Everything is being made from 5 x 1. It all needs to fold down for transporting in the car. The fitting I am after is in two parts. The part that fixes to the uprights is a steel rectangle I suppose about 3 inches long by 3/4 wide and the centre part is raised so that when it is screwed to the upright there is a gap behing the middle bit. The other part that is fixed to the cross members then slots into this gap. In operation it is all very secure and solid and when it's time to pack up it's a very easy job just to knock the cross members with the palm of the hand. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kostello. It's very close but the fitting I need is in two parts. I suppose the nearest thing I can describe it as is like the fitting on the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Chippygeoff":2og5gvzm said:
I am not sure if I am going to explain this right. I am making a new display stand. There are two uprights 4 feet apart and 4 cross members. Everything is being made from 5 x 1. It all needs to fold down for transporting in the car. The fitting I am after is in two parts. The part that fixes to the uprights is a steel rectangle I suppose about 3 inches long by 3/4 wide and the centre part is raised so that when it is screwed to the upright there is a gap behing the middle bit. The other part that is fixed to the cross members then slots into this gap. In operation it is all very secure and solid and when it's time to pack up it's a very easy job just to knock the cross members with the palm of the hand. Any help would be much appreciated.

Is this a fitting you've seen and are trying to source, or are you describing something you designed, and hope to exist?

In either case, I suspect a sketch would be ever so helpful.

BugBear

Sounds like a "taper connector" Isaac lord used to do them but I can't see them on their sitenow as did Woodfit but they have gone bust, Rockler in the states do them or you may be able to google them and while you are ther have a look at teh knock down bed fittings which may suit your 5x1 rails

J

Thanks for all your help but it's still not what I am after. I used the fittings I am trying to describe many years ago. I used to install toilet cubicles and vanity units in places like Tesco's and schools and they were used for holding certain panels in place. To remove a panel I would just lift it about an inch and it would come away. I think Kostello's idea is the best yet and if I can't get what I want I will get those. Thanks again.

Do the "cross members" attach to the side uprights vertically, like a panel, or horizontally, like a shelf? If you want a knock-down shelf unit, there must be some combination of secret panel fittings, ribbed wall plates, support bracket, button fixing, push-in suspension clip or drop-in panel clip that'll do the job? There's loads of this type of thing on ironmonger direct; probably worth a trawl through that section - even if it isn't exactly what you used before, it may still do the job??

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... egories%3C{catalog01_cabinet_furniture_and_hardware}/categories%3C{catalog01_cabinet_furniture_and_hardware_furniture_brackets_and_fixings}%26fh_start_index=54

HTH Pete

Thanks again guys. Thanks BugBear for the picture of Kostello's idea. That fitting will be perfect now I know how it works. As I said, the two uprights and the cross members will be all made in 5 x 1 with the cross members being flat against the uprights so when you look at the stand you will see the full width of the 5 x 1. The idea behind this it to display the plaques and name signs I make at the craft fairs and to free up table space. The cross members will have hooks for hanging the plques on and pairs of dowels inserted to stand the name signs on.

Back