Help with a built in wardrobe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSheffer

Established Member
Reaction score
Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 09.43.11.png
Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 09.42.34.png

Hi all,

I've been looking at designs for built in wardrobes and came across this on instagram. I liked it so much that I actually asked the maker for a quote, but alas it is well above my budget!

I'm happy making the doors and have done basic face frame cabinets (..along with lots of peter millard videos.)

Does anyone have any advice on how these wide roundovers could be made. I believe the original maker makers everything from solid wood. I like the roundover because the wardrobe is going to jut into the room from the alcove, and i think it really softens the look of the wardrobe.

Thanks very much

You can just use a piece of solid wood and plane it to shape. Get a piece of 70 x 70 (Tulipwood would be a good choice), draw the quarter circle on each end, rough off what you can with a table saw or similar then plane down to the lines, easier than you think and actually quite theraputic.

The curved moulding round the top, maybe go for something a bit more straightforward than in the photo 🤔

I do 4 squares joined with paper and turn them to rounds and split them.
50mm quadrants or under on the spindle moulder.

hmmm no spindle moulder here. I don't know quite what you mean doctor bob about the squares and splitting them etc?

You can just use a piece of solid wood and plane it to shape. Get a piece of 70 x 70 (Tulipwood would be a good choice), draw the quarter circle on each end, rough off what you can with a table saw or similar then plane down to the lines, easier than you think and actually quite theraputic.

The curved moulding round the top, maybe go for something a bit more straightforward than in the photo 🤔
Yes I agree with the hand planing, looking at that picture and zooming in on the grain on the curved section and the flat board return to the wall, it’s quite pronounced like on those fake six panel doors that have woodgrain- ( far too prominent for my liking) It just makes me wonder if those whole end units are prefabricated somewhere?

hmmm no spindle moulder here. I don't know quite what you mean doctor bob about the squares and splitting them etc?
so if I want a 90 x90mm quadrant, I make 4 posts at 95 x 95mm glue them all together with a paper join to make a square post at 190 x 190mm, I then turn it to a diameter of 180mm. Then because of the paper glue joints I then split it back into the original 4 posts, now quadrants

This forum is an excellent excellent place. I’ll buy the moulding. Will post updates once in underway.

Do you know if there is a joinery shop local to you? Most of the one off jobs I have to do from walk ins is matching a piece of coving or making round ends like in your photo. I don't think my boss charges a fortune for it otherwise no body would bother using us.

The rebase(?) between the curve and the sides/front almost look like it's been fitted together like a panel door with a groove in the side/front panels. In which case, any sheet good bending enough could be persuaded into place with possibly with some ribs on the backside to help it keep the shape. It would be a very cheap alternative to the excellent suggestion so far.

P.S. that is also clearly not a wardrobe, it's a secret door to another world (bathroom)

have done these by coopering then mark your radius and plane by hand. it also leaves a lovely segmented section on the inside!
tbh his radiuses look a bit rough as though he has joined 2 thick bits at 90 (2×45) then somehow created his curve but 2 flats still left near the joint.
its nice work though very country house. how much was it to have made? I'd reckon about £3000+

have done these by coopering then mark your radius and plane by hand. it also leaves a lovely segmented section on the inside!
tbh his radiuses look a bit rough as though he has joined 2 thick bits at 90 (2×45) then somehow created his curve but 2 flats still left near the joint.
its nice work though very country house. how much was it to have made? I'd reckon about £3000+
Yes you’re right, this is part of a base I made for a desk, if you put
5BBEDB05-DE64-4210-8A9B-A0538AC7F072.jpeg
78A6A442-4DF0-4BFF-9F1E-C8C0347C7093.jpeg
Behomoth into the search at the top it will come up. Ian

Back