Help with a bit of a dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manxman, the brickwork is a bit rough and I don't particularly think much of exposed brickwork but I am thinking about leaving the lintel exposed even if it is just punch dressed (seemingly :))

Definitely seems that open is favoured by you lot and I guess it will be easy enough to close up again later if needs be

Someone mentioned lime plastering the brickwork - is this something I could expect a decent plasterer to be able to do and should I say no if said plasterer offers gypsum - I don't want it dot & dabbing !!

As far as I understand it, the things to avoid are anything technically combustible -that includes standard plasterboard - or regular gypsum plaster which will come off if it is subjected to stove temperatures for long. I used traditional lime plaster (because I am a taditionalist at heart!) made with lime putty and sand - sharp sand for the first coat, silver sand for the top coat. I had not done it before, and what a game it is ! I don't imagine most builders would rush to do it. A sand and cement render would do too, and there are some heat resistant boards you might use too. Regular matte emulsion will be ok if ypu need to paint it.

Bit of an update

Despite the overwhelming vote for open, it's now gonna be closed (ever the rebel) with a 'hole in the wall' type fire about a foot off the ground, so no hearth

Will no doubt need advice for rebuilding :oops:

To aid with the job and make it feel like santa's been, I just popped out and bought this

IMAG1518(2).jpg

I do feel like a kiddie at Christmas as well - always wanted one but didn't really need one

Time for a brew, then it's hammer time (hammer)

Attachments

• IMAG1518(2).jpg
    IMAG1518(2).jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 755
Ok, I bottled it - couldn't bring myself to disturb the Sunday tranquillity so will start in the morning instead

But look what a little prod revealed -
IMAG1523(2).jpg

You're looking at about 20mm of concrete render over the original plaster there. Am I glad the old plaster is still there as it should separate from the wall pretty easy !

Attachments

• IMAG1523(2).jpg
    IMAG1523(2).jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 749
Slightly off topic, but relevant, I bought one of these about three weeks ago. They're brilliant for getting off old lime plaster. The wide blade means everything vibrates a lot less (we have black lime mortar and if you're not careful lots of bricks get loose).

It's not clear from the picture but the shaft is cranked over, which makes it easier to go at the wall at a quite shallow angle, and get behind the plaster, rather than cutting straight into it.

I had a fairly wide chisel for my SDS before, but this was a great deal quicker. It's 75mm wide. Yours in the picture looked narrower, which is why I mentioned it.

I do hope this isn't a 'mine's bigger than yours' response ?

But it is, mines only 40mm :cry:

Don't forget, it's not what you've got, it's how you use it

Now, where's my catalogue ...

PS thanks for the tip

It certainly looks extraordinarily similar to the Heller one, but feel free to pay more than 3x the price... :-o

That said, I've got an Armeg square hole cutter for electrical boxes. I've had it for about 14 years, and although my use is only DIY, it's been well borrowed - a bit worn now but still going strong, and our brick is engineering, not Thermalite block. So they're definitely not cheap'n'nasty, but then neither is the Heller stuff usually, either.

Eric The Viking":1qzvcsfq said:
Slightly off topic, but relevant, I bought one of these about three weeks ago. They're brilliant for getting off old lime plaster. The wide blade means everything vibrates a lot less (we have black lime mortar and if you're not careful lots of bricks get loose).

It's not clear from the picture but the shaft is cranked over, which makes it easier to go at the wall at a quite shallow angle, and get behind the plaster, rather than cutting straight into it.

I had a fairly wide chisel for my SDS before, but this was a great deal quicker. It's 75mm wide. Yours in the picture looked narrower, which is why I mentioned it.

Ahh. I used one of those with my 4kg Bosch SDS drill to get the tiles of the bathroom, and very nearly made it a walk in ensuite from the bedroom next door. Had to replaster the other side of the wall. Go steady !

Incidentally, of you go for the inset stove "hole in the wall" type fire, I don't think it removes the need for a hearth as specified in Part J (?) It is always nice to have a hearth as wde as the fully open stove door, IMHO. You will see brochure photos of stoves fitted in unacceptable ways - no hearth, with logs piled too close, etc - because it looks good. Your other issue is what to do with the wall around it - some stoves can be connected to a flex liner through the top of the stove without access to the outside of the top, others need access which you later need to board up. With a non-combustible material, that won't crack in the heat.

Big plus point of inset stoves is that you can get a great fire "picture" - nice big window to get the best enjoyment from the flames. I'm sure it is at least 50% the view that makes you feel warm !

Sheffield Tony":1ji2x4pb said:
Ahh. I used one of those with my 4kg Bosch SDS drill to get the tiles of the bathroom, and very nearly made it a walk in ensuite from the bedroom next door. Had to replaster the other side of the wall. Go steady !
Plaster has gone. I am going to remove the infill by hand (I don't forsee needing tools to do this :-()

I lurve my new toy !

Incidentally, of you go for the inset stove "hole in the wall" type fire, I don't think it removes the need for a hearth as specified in Part J (?) It is always nice to have a hearth as wde as the fully open stove door, IMHO. You will see brochure photos of stoves fitted in unacceptable ways - no hearth, with logs piled too close, etc - because it looks good. Your other issue is what to do with the wall around it - some stoves can be connected to a flex liner through the top of the stove without access to the outside of the top, others need access which you later need to board up. With a non-combustible material, that won't crack in the heat.
Fire is decided and have read the instructions for it - it states opening dimensions and that's all that's required though I'm hoping to speak to a fitter before removing anything which has meant another delay

Big plus point of inset stoves is that you can get a great fire "picture" - nice big window to get the best enjoyment from the flames. I'm sure it is at least 50% the view that makes you feel warm !
You are right on both points :)

I've sat with an open fire on my tv from youtube and I SWEAR I could feel the heat

Whatcha going for then Den ? I have a Stovax. Lit it for the first time this year last night. Need something to watch while DW is watching Downton Abbey :D

I see - I was thinking solid fuel (hence part J) rather than gas - forget what I said about hearths :oops: No need to open doors or any risk of things falling out. Hope your install goes well.

If you are going to put a stove in I wouldn't put the telly above it. We have an Aarrow inset and it belts out some heat.
Michael

Sheffield Tony":1bvxns7g said:
I see - I was thinking solid fuel (hence part J) rather than gas - forget what I said about hearths :oops: No need to open doors or any risk of things falling out. Hope your install goes well.
No problem Tony

Install is currently not being installed as I need a gas man to move a pipe for me before I start and that looks like Thursday now

Shall I keep posting pictures ? Anybody interested ?

I had my sitting room fireplace blocked up last year. I'm chuffed with the result - one less thing to attend to, I don't miss it, and the plain wall looks fine. I didn't realise you had to seal the chimney pot - no sign of damp yet though.

John

John15":3ih7hnpq said:
I had my sitting room fireplace blocked up last year. I'm chuffed with the result - one less thing to attend to, I don't miss it, and the plain wall looks fine. I didn't realise you had to seal the chimney pot - no sign of damp yet though.

John
I think I was finally swayed by the clean look of a plain chimney and as my room is small, I don't think that can be a bad thing

Reason I originally asked for folks opinions is that I just couldn't make my mind for more than a day at a time !!

Back