Help - Which Bench Vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
53s are much less common and a bit more - £40 is a good price on ebay £50 not unusual at all.

There'll be more - they aren't rare, just one a penny rather than three a penny as it were.

Most 53s seem to have QR anyway.

Do a 'completed items' search on 'Record 53' to see what they go for generally, then you'll know where to pitch your bids or whether G&M etc can actually offer better value.

Yep, should have mentioned "only go for the QR versions".

Scrit

Jesus. That's a brutal drive-by, Dave.

Are you suggesting he tours the dumps waiting for the one in a million chance?

John H,

I had a similar issue when building my bench, I needed to build it on a really tight budget. The vice i'm using came from axminster (as a gift), here's the link:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/6/product-Axminster-Quick-Release-Carpenters-Wood-Vice-29796.htm Its only about £35, and so far has proving to be an excellent vice - it has an adjustable dog, quick release, and has good clamping pressure. I'm going to get another to use as an end-vice.

You can read about my bench-building here:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7483

And, here is a photo-set of the progress:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byronblack/sets/1460614/

I hope that helps in some way.

Welcome to the forum btw!

BB

Jake":1xe1jx5y said:

Now if you read the right books you will know a one in a million chance happens nine times out of ten... :shock:

But then if you don't read them you’ll think I am mad. 8-[ :roll:

ByronBlack":1r6gzit0 said:
John H,

I had a similar issue when building my bench, I needed to build it on a really tight budget. The vice i'm using came from axminster (as a gift), here's the link:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/6/product-Axminster-Quick-Release-Carpenters-Wood-Vice-29796.htm Its only about £35, and so far has proving to be an excellent vice.

I take it that it's the 9" version you have... I ran to the Axminster site ready to order it after your excellent review and guess what... OUT OF STOCK! :cry:

Arrrghh... I think I'm totally jinxed here. Well at least I've bookmarked the page ready for when they do come back into stock.

Byron, thanks for that lovely bench building tutorial. I think I'm going to build mine based on your design but with some changes in measurements due to me being a short legged, long bodied awkward sod. :wink: I've actually found a builders merchant 5 mins drive away that sells some reasonable pine for the frame (I'm staying away from B&Q wood because like Gill said in another thread... the damn stuff is pretty awful and twists and cups bad.)

Hopefully I'll be able to start building the bench this weekend as I have been held back recently by falling victim to one of the bugs floating around. I'll have to do a WIP photoshoot and post it here as well (I'm guessing you guys could do with a laugh :p)

Neomorph":14on2545 said:
I've actually found a builders merchant 5 mins drive away that sells some reasonable pine for the frame

Care to spill the beans? I'd love to find some decent pine locally, especially if it's of a quality that's suitable for use in workbench construction.

If it's Broad Street DIY in Bromsgrove, I'm going to start screaming. Four Oaks Timber would be bad enough.

Gill

Neomorph":25jvujla said:
It's Buildland in North Moons Moat in Redditch.
Many thanks - I'll pay them a visit next time I'm after some pine.
Neomorph":25jvujla said:
Gill":25jvujla said:
If it's Broad Street DIY in Bromsgrove, I'm going to start screaming. Four Oaks Timber would be bad enough.

Do I take it the wood's rubbish then?
The wood from Four Oaks Timber isn't bad but it's not cheap and I found the customer service was really surley. Broad Street DIY has pretty good customer service (if you don't trust them to read a cutting list :roll:) but the timber isn't much better than the stuff from B&Q.

Gill

DaveL":2y191nl5 said:
Jake":2y191nl5 said:

Now if you read the right books you will know a one in a million chance happens nine times out of ten... :shock:

But then if you don't read them you’ll think I am mad. 8-[ :roll:

Fat Colon standing on one leg and other silly things trying to hit a dragon in its voonerable spot with a bow and lucky arrow ends up with the guy falling off the roof into a privy with special effects of a short shower of s$%t. :shock:

DaveL are you trying to throw me into the loo????????? :lol:

GILL YOU PLONKER LOL...

Instead of quoting me in the post two above this one you instead clicked edit and edited my post. I also remembered doing that when I was the admin of a phpbb board. :lol:

Gill don't buy the packs of pine at Buildland as sods law has just struck. I bought some 2" x 2" pine in packs from there about 5 months ago and when I just went to use some I found they were twisted and warped pretty bad.

I wanna meet this guy Sod in a dark alley sometime :twisted:

Strangely though, after checking te rest of my pine boards I bought from there they were at worst only slightly cupped. Mind you they were bought as singles and all they are for is shelving in the living room.

Neomorph":36bvk1jf said:
Gill don't buy the packs of pine at Buildland as sods law has just struck. I bought some 2" x 2" pine in packs from there about 5 months ago and when I just went to use some I found they were twisted and warped pretty bad.
Did you order the banana pine, then?

Neomorph":36bvk1jf said:
I wanna meet this guy Sod in a dark alley sometime :twisted:
Get to the back of the queue........ :lol:

Scrit

Neomorph":13wte9mi said:
DaveL are you trying to throw me into the loo????????? :lol:

Well no, but I was trying to say keep your eyes open, my Dad manages to 'find' all sorts of things. :roll:

ByronBlack":ejr3jwb6 said:
John H,

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/6/product-Axminster-Quick-Release-Carpenters-Wood-Vice-29796.htm Its only about £35, and so far has proving to be an excellent vice - it has an adjustable dog, quick release, and has good clamping pressure. I'm going to get another to use as an end-vice.

BB

Oh well, I'm seriously jinxed where my vice is concerned...

Axminster":ejr3jwb6 said:
Thank you for your enquiry on A9QRVICE – Unfortunately we have had a high demand for these and will not be having any more in stock until the end of March. You can place an order at any time so that you are ‘in the queue’ for one when they arrive if you wish to.

Many thanks

Jo Thomas
Telesales - Team Leader

I've pre-ordered one so I'll get in the queue.

Back