Help wanted to cut openings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am a bit of a newbie to all this, and hope my question is not stupid.

I want to be able to do a particular job. This is with a piece of 3mm hardboard measuring 12"x24"approx. I want to cut a square/oblong hole about 6"x6" / 7"x5" that sort of size. This will be in the centre/off centre.

I want neat edges, I want to be able to do it fast, and i want a machine that will be easy to use and set up, and preferably cheap to buy, and small. Production numbers will be low, perhaps 20+ a week if lucky.

Anyone any ideas what would be the best way of doing it, and what equipment you reccomend.

Your help would be valuable.

Thank, kind regards

Phil Allen :?:

A router springs to mind with a suitable template, but you will end up with slightly rounded corners. You could square these up with a chisel. Otherwise I'm guessing it's a jigsaw of somekind.

Phil
You need a router with a 1/4 cutter and a guide bush. Many small routers come with a 17mm bush, but the size is not critical.

Make a template from 12mm MDF. It needs to have a square hole in the middle as big as your required opening, plus a little bit to take into account the difference between the edge o your bit and the guide bush. One way to make this hole dead true is to rip off a length of MDF the required width, cross-cut it and open the two pieces by the required length. Glue two more pieces, one on each side so that you end up with your opening. This can all be done on the tablesaw so you get nice straight edges.

To use it you need a sacrificial piece of MDF on which to place your job, set your workpiece on that and clamp your template to the lot. Set your router to cut just below the surface and rout away. You will cut into your sacrificial board (that's why it is sacrificial...) but it should last a long time before it needs replacing.

If you have lots to square the corners of, consider getting a corner chisel. You put it in the corner and hit it with a hammer. It's ver neat and quick, too. A chisel is just as good but slower.

Cheers
Steve

Hi
First I would like to thank you both for your kind replies.

Steve, Would you recommend a router table, I cant see any other way to hold the clamped pieces and use the router.

Othe rthan that seems to be the ideal way, now all I have to do is get myself a set up and learn how to use it.

Thank again.

Kind regards

Phil

template%20routing.jpg

This is what I had in mind. Workpiece sandwiched between scrap base and top template. Quick easy and cheap.

HTH
Steve

EDIT - Don't forget to tighten the clamps up! :)

Wow Steve :p

That illustration is fantastic, has really helped with what ou had in mind. I feel certain I can use this, or at least use it as a basi for my solution.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Phil

Welcome to the forum philfoot, an addition to Steve's jig is to make corner posts to hold the sandwich, then you wont need any clamps. Make them slightly less than the hight of the sandwich.

Back