Help valuing Multico M3 Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biblu

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, after some intensive googling I've not got anywhere, so I'm hopeful that the breadth of expertise here might be of some help.

We're clearing my late fathers' garage and stored in the corner for many years has been a Multico M3 moticer. Unfortunately, its motor seems to have disappeared, and the table is a little stiff given its lack of use.

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

For all the other items we've sold while clearing the garage there have been good references for a sensible price to sell them (ebay/facebook/gumtree etc) but for this morticer I can only find complete working machines for sale, which obviously don't reflect the same condition as this one.

Would anyone had an idea of its value, or maybe some good practices for valuing machines missing major components...XX% of a fully working machine, for example?

Find the cost of a new motor; deduct that and a bit more for the faff/uncertainty (and inability to show it running)
Or, replace the motor.

Not a huge amount, the tooling and bushings are probably worth a reasonable amount by themselves

Find the cost of a new motor; deduct that and a bit more for the faff/uncertainty (and inability to show it running)
Or, replace the motor.

Thanks, I did have a look for a replacement, but couldn't find a manual or details on the motor. Having said that, I did just find another thread on here with the same morticer and details on their moto so I'll try to use that to gauge a price.

Not a huge amount, the tooling and bushings are probably worth a reasonable amount by themselves

Thanks, useful to know about the tooling and bushings, thank you. Any punts on a finger in the air for what range 'not huge' and 'reasonable' fall into? ;)

I didn't think to look up the pricing of the chisels etc - I should be able to find some references for those quite easily; good idea!

The M3 is a three phase machine, the M1 is single phase. So if your father didn't have a three phase supply he may never have had a motor for it as he was in the process of changing it to a single phase motor. Identifying the precise motor that will work is not a simple task, shaft size, motor mount dimensions etc. However it'll cost you about £150-£200 for a motor of the correct power/speed.

I've recently bought a similar class of morticer so I'd been surfing ebay/gumtree/marketplace for a while. Machines of this ilk sell between £200-£500 depending on location, if you will arrange delivery, quality of photos, amount of tooling, condition of the machine. Machines being sold by second hand machinery dealers command a higher price c.£700, for which I'd expect some aftersales support if it doesn't work. Incomplete or not working machines seldom draw prices approaching £100, which I'd have loved if they had been near enough to collect, but everywhere is along way from Aberdeen!

The tooling you have is worthless and I'll arrange a courier to collect from you, if that's ok ;) Honestly it's probably worth more than the machine. You look to have a mix of Japanese and English pattern hollow chisels, and you also have two sharpeners (in the blue boxes). The chisels will sell on ebay from £10-20 each and the sharpeners £30-40.

If you would photo the sharpeners and offer them on here first I for one would appreciate that!

unfortunately there isnt much demand from morticers these days -probably due to domino.

I nearly bought an M1 multico from a seller on facebook for £200

but generally they seem to go for between £350 and £700 -in working order

So I rather think you may struggle to sell it at all -or maybe for £150-£200

... he was in the process of changing it to a single phase motor...

Owning something that you couldn't use and not finishing a job you started, you must have known my dad! ;) or maybe that's just a general trait of DIYers :)

I've recently bought a similar class of morticer so I'd been surfing ebay/gumtree/marketplace for a while. Machines of this ilk sell between £200-£500 depending on location, if you will arrange delivery, quality of photos, amount of tooling, condition of the machine. Machines being sold by second hand machinery dealers command a higher price c.£700, for which I'd expect some aftersales support if it doesn't work. Incomplete or not working machines seldom draw prices approaching £100, which I'd have loved if they had been near enough to collect, but everywhere is along way from Aberdeen!

This is golddust information, thank you. Exactly the kind of knowledge I was hoping to get to ensure I don't try to sell it at some unachievable price

The tooling you have is worthless and I'll arrange a courier to collect from you, if that's ok ;) Honestly it's probably worth more than the machine. You look to have a mix of Japanese and English pattern hollow chisels, and you also have two sharpeners (in the blue boxes). The chisels will sell on ebay from £10-20 each and the sharpeners £30-40.

If you would photo the sharpeners and offer them on here first I for one would appreciate that!
This made me laugh out loud :LOL:. I really didn't think there was value in the tooling so this is a nice surprise; obviously, I don't know one hollow chisel from another so do you think these would sell as a bulk, at some hefty discount for the convenience of someone taking them all in one go. Or are these the kind of things people typically look for the odd one or two that they don't have?

unfortunately there isnt much demand from morticers these days -probably due to domino.

I nearly bought an M1 multico from a seller on facebook for £200

but generally they seem to go for between £350 and £700 -in working order

So I rather think you may struggle to sell it at all -or maybe for £150-£200

Thanks! useful to know, pricing seems to be aligning in the low hundreds range which is much better than the no idea I had a few hours ago (y)

I was thinking about posting on the for sale section here but I dont have enough posts due to the lurking nature of my relationship with the forum :LOL:

I was thinking about posting on the for sale section here but I dont have enough posts due to the lurking nature of my relationship with the forum :LOL:
have an argument with Jacob about politics -thatl push up your post count into the hundreds in no time (might not do much for your frame of mind though :ROFLMAO: )

have an argument with Jacob about politics -thatl push up your post count into the hundreds in no time (might not do much for your frame of mind though :ROFLMAO: )
Now there is probably the main reason my post count is relatively small considering I've been active here for about seventeen years. On the other hand I can't deny that I rather enjoy intermittently monitoring the bickering that goes on primarily in those off-topic forums, plus any and all the sharpening threads that pop up from time to time, ha, ha. Slainte.

the machine is also missing the base, looking at the picture. The value as has been pointed out is the chisels. i would suggest put the machine on eBay with a £9 starting price as an auction… it should then find its market value

I would list the machine on ebay and let it find its own price. Make sure its listed correctly with a decent title and plenty of pics.
I would list the tooling either as one lot or one at a time. Lay them all out and take decent pictures showing the sharpeners that are in the boxes and the bushings. The price of some chisels new are quite high, like £50 each. A set of bushings can be £100. If the chisels were a decent make like clico then they are worth £20 each.

Thanks for all the advice, exactly what I needed. (y) I took more photos of the tooling at the weekend so I'll chuck it all on eBay and hope for the best. I live a couple of hundred miles away from Mum's house so think I'll list it all as one job lot collection to save the trouble of individual shipping.

Back