HELP! Table saw motor problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWingwang

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
I'm having problems with my Jet JTS-600 table saw. When i press the start button it gets up to speed, then trips the RCD to my workshop (every time).
First i upgraded my RCD to a 100 amp version which should be able to handle anything. It worked a couple of times while my electrician was present, but then as soon as i started using it, surprise surprise, it tripped again. It has a run capacitor, but no start capacitor. This looks fine on visual inspection, but i bought a new one anyway, but this didn't help.
There seems to be some resistance when i turn the blade by hand , but i've only had the saw a couple of months (was six months old when i bought it) and i think it's always been like this. There was no noise when running to suggest bearing problems. I've tried both loosening and tightening the belt.
My last resort was to plug it directly to a plug socket in my annex (no RCD). It got up to speed, emitted a small puff of smoke, then cut out (thermal overload?). I haven't tried this again!
As i'm the second owner, a waranty repair isn't an issue. Blade is new and top quality (to the point where i'm cutting my fingers turning it by hand!).
What do i rule out next?
Any advice appreciated.

Contact JETMAN who is a forum member. It sounds to me that the the motor is FUBAR and hopefully he will be able to source a new one given that the machine is only 8 months old.

Good Luck

Bob

I know Bob is the expert here, but is there a chance that the NVR switch is faulty Bob?

I had similar trouble. The motor would start, but sometimes it would stop as soon as I released the switch. When it did run, it would also ocassionally stop when I put the motor under load. It turned out to be a faulty 'probe' inside the box, that wasn't keeping the contacts closed. A new switchbox cured it.

John :?:

I'd love it to be something as simple as the switch, and will certainly look into it.
I think the issue i need to investigate is the resistance when turning the blade by hand. I don't know how much effort should be required to do this manually, as i didn't notice this until the problems started.
I often run my table saw at the same time as the dust extractor and a ceiling-mounted dust filter without any problems, but i think the problem began when i also had my router table running. I noticed the router slowing, so turned off the table saw and it picked up speed again. The tripping has been occurring since then. I've now wired a seperate socket for my table saw, which hasn't helped.
All i can do is make uneducated guesses. I'm really hoping for a cheap fix here, as i struggled to find the funds to buy the saw, and really can't afford to replace the motor.

According to the OP,the rcd is being triggered which can only mean a different current flowing in live and neutral ie a path to earth. Add to this the escape of magic smoke when the machine was run from a non RCD protected power source followed by a cut out triggering which sounds like excessive current, my money would be on an insulation breakdown in the motor.
As the machine is under 12 month old, I would hope that Jet, in the form of Jetman would come to the rescue under warranty.
If it were here on the bench, there are a number of tests I would do but would not suggest to the OP on safety grounds not knowing (but guessing) his experience with mains electricty such as mentioning a 100Amp RCD rather than a 100mA for example.

I could be wrong however. Today for the first time in years I am trying to re-repair a another Jet machine that I really thought I had got sorted :oops:

Bob

BobWingwang":2lvpuc0a said:
I'd love it to be something as simple as the switch, and will certainly look into it.
I think the issue i need to investigate is the resistance when turning the blade by hand. I don't know how much effort should be required to do this manually, as i didn't notice this until the problems started.
I often run my table saw at the same time as the dust extractor and a ceiling-mounted dust filter without any problems, but i think the problem began when i also had my router table running. I noticed the router slowing, so turned off the table saw and it picked up speed again. The tripping has been occurring since then. I've now wired a seperate socket for my table saw, which hasn't helped.
All i can do is make uneducated guesses. I'm really hoping for a cheap fix here, as i struggled to find the funds to buy the saw, and really can't afford to replace the motor.

This sound VERY dodgy. I would get your electrics sorted first. There should be no perceptable interaction between machines like this. Also try the saw again in a another location and if it does not work get onto Jetman under warranty - being the second owner should not matter.

Bob

OOPS crossed in the posting - Good luck - Jetman is very helpful within the scope of keeping his job!

It's possible i'm wrong on the router slowdown, just desperately trying to find the source of the problem. I've ran extentions from my annex and house (all seperate supplies). The house RCD Tripped. The annex has no RCD and caused the cut-out and smoke. that's when i gave up!

Hmmm... My Sedgwick planer is running on the high amp circuit from the control box. Even at that the lights dim when I start it up. But the motor is a 3hp jobbie.

What size is your Jet motor Bob?

Oooo... I am so nervous of all this sparky, stuff in wires!

John

Power input is 2.6KW. I can't find a hp value. It's now wired up to it's own 30amp fuse.
I'm happy to admit my electrical knowledge is limited to wiring plugs. Most of what i'm reading here is flying above my head, but it seems i'm going to have to learn the hard way. It's infuriating that it worked whilst my electrician was here.

Latest posts

Back