Help Stanley #45

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Bits and pieces here and there ... I managed to gather (almost) a complete Stanley #45 together without shedding all my bank account.

45-1.jpg

Unfortunately one of the two rods is missing. Is there some pious soul who could help me to find a similar one (lenght cm 21, diametre 3/8") ?

45-2.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Alberto

As Alf answered, any metalshop can make (turn) a rods you need.
I had two longer rods turned for my #55

regards
Rolf

A UK supplier may be able to get the imperial sized 3/8 rods you need.

Having to get someone to make them (by tuning or otherwise) may be more expensive.

As I understand the #45, the rods are plain (unlike the #50 rods, which are threaded)

BugBear

bugbear":1zb29j6u said:

Having to get someone to make them (by tuning or otherwise) may be more expensive.

As I understand the #45, the rods are plain (unlike the #50 rods, which are threaded)

BugBear

correct ! Thanks for the tip !
Alberto

bugbear":llisqmkp said:

BugBear

The rods are not 3/8". I'm going from a very unreliable memory but I think they are 23/64ths in imperial.

Early (pre-1900) #45 rods were threaded into the main casting. Later #45's and #55's used smooth rods.

Roger Nixon":1scrqk18 said:
The rods are not 3/8". I'm going from a very unreliable memory but I think they are 23/64ths in imperial.
I had a nagging feeling they weren't so obvious a size too (Stanley being Stanley), but failed to check.

Cheers, Alf

Roger Nixon":fds05y9t said:
but I think they are 23/64ths in imperial.

:shock: mamma mia ! mamma mia ! :shock: do you mean that they are mm 9.128125 instead of mm 9.525 ?????

I think I should better ask a blacksmith to simply COPY the old f@##!?@&!?!!g rod ...

Cheers
Alberto

just to advise that the people of Folkestone have been superkind and provided a PERFECT rod for my #45 !
Thanks Alf for your precious tip !
Cheers
Alberto

Back