Help Required Regarding a Blue'd HSS Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have just won a Robert Sorby 5/8 gouge on ebay for £15 (plus postage) and at first I was chuffed as it seems a bit of a bargain!

However I do have a slight issue with the gouge in the fact that it has got a blue'd tip (most probably from an incorrect sharpening technique), I have done some research and people say that with a HSS tool then it shouldnt be an issue, whereas it is a major problem with a carbon steel blade, is this correct?

Also the ad stated that it was a bowl gouge/spindle gouge, I am not too sure to be perfectly honest although I have a feeling that it is a spindle gouge. Would someone confirm either way please?

Here are some pics :)

gouge.jpg

gouge1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

If that gouge is made from HSS, then it isn't a problem. It's quite normal for metalworking lathe tools to come off the grinder looking like that, and to work perfectly satisfactorily. Carbon steels would indeed soften in that circumstance.

When HSS was first developed around 1900, one of the 'show-off' sales pitches was to work the tool so hard cutting higher-tensile steel that it glowed red hot and still kept cutting. That's how it got it's name - it'll cut at higher speeds than CS will.

First it's a bowl gouge

Second whilst it is not a problem if it's blue it isn't compulsory and careful grinding should avoid it.

Thanks guys!

I'm glad it is a bowl gouge as I needed one and have wanted a fingernail gouge for a while!

I will be sure to be careful when grinding to make sure it is kept tip top!

Don't be tempted to quench the tip if it's hot, the shock of quenching can form micro cracks in the thin edge and reduce the life of the cutting edge.

If your grinding wheel is not glazed and you use the lightest pressure possible to ensure the wheel's cutting you should be able to touch up the bevel without the tool getting as warm as it does cutting wood.

Thanks!

I will be sure to dress the wheel before I sharpen this one as it may need a bit of attention!

Can I sharpen the fingernail profile on a wolverine type jig or do I need to knock up an Ellsworth style one?

Cheers

=Adam=":17uc652y said:
Thanks!

I will be sure to dress the wheel before I sharpen this one as it may need a bit of attention!

Can I sharpen the fingernail profile on a wolverine type jig or do I need to knock up an Ellsworth style one?

Cheers
If you can't do it by hand, (practise swinging the gouge around with the wheel stationary), then you need a jig that will give you similar controls to the Tormek version.
Something like This easy to make version or the Tormek or its Look-a-like

Thanks for all of the info guys!

It turns out that the tip wasn't "blue", just a bit black haha! Also it is pretty much brand new, only 3mm (one eight") has been lost in overall length since new so I am a happy bunny!

Back