Help required please - motor and swith - old drill press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generic Chinese product.
Live and neutral in, live and neutral out, but it matters which end is the in and which is the out, so get the proper diagram, don't guess.

Chances are it is made by kedu.cn or it's a copy of one of their powertool switches. That may help you find the wiring instructions.

Cheers

Attachments

• Untitled 4.png
    Untitled 4.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
guineafowl21":t3kken67 said:
Starjump":t3kken67 said:
These are the numbers I can see from the picture.
It’s been a long time, but I think 13 and 23 are mains in, 14 and 24 out. You break the live through the mushroom switch on the way in.

The switch should come with a diagram printed on it anyway. Post it on here if unsure.

Your memory is bang on guineafowl21!

The voltage wasn’t adjusted just the tolerance.

230 volts
In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts.

Pete

Starjump":1pqpkkli said:
...It works through a 'STARTET' push button switch, the motor is 1/3H.P...
Startet were an MEM product (Midland Electric Manufacturing Co. Ltd.). Startet switches do have one advantage over the modern switch you're looking at - they have overload protection (assuming of course that the Startet switch is correctly rated for your motor - they often aren't). Heaters within the switch cause the switch to turn off if you're drawing more current than is good for your motor.

But the No Volt relay and the big Stop button are also worth having.

Starjump":1pqpkkli said:
...The old switch has done well but needed quite a firm push to operate....
I have the same Startet switch on my Denbigh drill press - and it also needs a firm push to operate.

When I get around to doing up mine I may replace the Startet switch with a DOL starter. These have overload protection and an NVR relay. I may also fit a separate emergency Stop button (as I'll almost certainly use a vintage MEM DOL starter and I don't have any with built in an emergency Stop button).

I agree you should consider replacing all your wiring with something in better condition.

Cheers, Vann.

Back