Help required from any RAF or ex RAF types please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me if an 'apron' is an area of clear tarmac in front of a Hangar? If not, have I misused the word apron, and is there a 'name' for the area in front of a hangar?

Is there any particular spot where a Helicopter pad might be best situated.
Sorry to sound a bit of a dolt, but I need to get this right!

Any info would be welcome.
My thanks in anticipation.
:D please?

just checked with Grandad who was in the RAF many many years ago, and he said your information about the apron is correct, it would usually be about the same size as the hangar.

no sure about the helibopters!

adidat

The whole flight line area adjacent to the hangar where the aircraft were parked after removing from hangar and prepared for flight and subsiquently marshaled out for sortie was always referred to as the apron by us. (I was in charge of a first line servicing wing for inst, elect, and radio trades for several years.) (civilian but RAF Crew)

Jonzjob":5ohp0j9e said:
Yes it is the apron. As Chas said usually as big or bigger than the hanger. Although the big hanger at Brize is about 1/4 mile long across the opening doors the apron outside it is still bigger.. I know, I had to walk the length enough time in my 5 years as an aircraft elekky there!!

So room for a Helipad then! :D
Thanks Jon.

Suits the purpose I have in mind a treat.

:wink:

Helipad :shock: There's room for a full sized heliport 8) 8)

This shows about 2/3rds of the inside. The VC10 gives an impression of the size. Sorry about the quality. We were not encouraged to carry cameras :mrgreen: This one's off the web.

hangerbrize.jpg

Jonzjob":3e3s3dgo said:
the big hanger at Brize is about 1/4 mile long across the opening doors the apron outside it is still bigger.. I know, I had to walk the length enough time in my 5 years as an aircraft elekky there!!

If you don't mind my asking, were you involved with 101 Sqd during your time there?

Hmmm...
I hope this thread takes on an interesting direction...
Meanwhile I am researching helicopter types... And how much (or how little) weather will stop them flying. :wink:

I depends who is flying them and where they are landing John :shock: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

As ground crew at Brize on first line servicing we didn't have much to do with the squadrons Dave. We just serviced all of the aircraft and the only time we saw any sqdn members was if an outgoing aircraft went sick and we had to go and fix it when they were aboard. LSS Line Servicing Squadron was/is a squadron all of its own and aeroplane drivers and the like didn't mix with us mucky oiks :mrgreen:

When I was there there was only 10 Sqdn flying VC10s. 101 Sqdn were formed after I left and the ex British Airways 10s arrived and then converted to tankers. Just 10 and 53 Sqdns when I was there. That was enough ta!!

Benchwayze":c85zfq74 said:
Jonzjob":c85zfq74 said:
I depends who is flying them and where they are landing John :shock: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

Hmmmm! Yes Jon. Exactly! :shock: :shock:

The memories of Mal-de-mare are somewhat vivid! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Flippin' Eck!

They don't show the next bit though, where it slid off the side before they had time to lash it down!

Seriously though, that is one impressive bit of flying (and co-ordination with the guy on the deck).

They didn't even manage to get near this one! I just hope they got out OK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKUIKMJhhM

Mind you, in my book birds and fools fly for a living and birds don't fly at night! Well, mostly.. Plus anyone who takes off from a moving airfield and then tries landing back on it has got to have something mentally wrong with them. We called them 'Penguins" in the R.A.F. All flap, no fly. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jonzjob":23joi465 said:
They didn't even manage to get near this one! I just hope they got out OK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKUIKMJhhM

Mind you, in my book birds and fools fly for a living and birds don't fly at night! Well, mostly.. Plus anyone who takes off from a moving airfield and then tries landing back on it has got to have something mentally wrong with them. We called them 'Penguins" in the R.A.F. All flap, no fly. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Last two paragraphs of the intro say seven died Jon. RIP.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to blame; if any.

As John BW is an ex-matelot and was asking for advice from ex-RAF personnel about 'aprons' I'm very surprised this thread hasn't gone off on a completely different direction - Rob

woodbloke":3h6fqcdz said:
As John BW is an ex-matelot and was asking for advice from ex-RAF personnel about 'aprons' I'm very surprised this thread hasn't gone off on a completely different direction - Rob

Rob,

I could tell a story about sharing an 'in transit' billet, at Hendon. Three of us matelots and about a dozen Ac2 plonks... But it'd take too long! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Benchwayze":2f53djha said:
woodbloke":2f53djha said:

Rob,

I could tell a story about sharing an 'in transit' billet, at Hendon. Three of us matelots and about a dozen Ac2 plonks... But it'd take too long! :lol: :lol: :lol:
John...you don't have to tell me and my imagination doesn't even have to work overtime! :lol: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back