Help re. Woden 187 saw vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of saws that need sharpening and decided to treat myself to a proper saw vice to replace the scraps of wood I've been using until now, so I ordered a second-hand Woden 187 online.

When it arrived I was surprised to find it has a gap when closed - I was expecting a slightly curved hollow to ensure even pressure along the clamp when it's shut, but the gap in this is almost rectangular.

Even when clamping a saw a gap remains and there's plenty of space for the saw to flex when the vice is closes, which I expect will prove troublesome when filing the saw.

(that beige line is the carpet showing through the gap)

Has anyone else had this issue with a vice like this, are they all like this and is there a reason or solution for such a gap - should I file down the high points of the cheeks till they close evenly, try adding some leather padding, or just see about returning it?

Very best,

I would suggest a quick try out.
My Paramo is similar, but works fine.

Bod

Thanks Bod,

I gave it a test run this weekend and it seems to work ok. There was a bit of a rasping sound but it wasn't too bad, I wouldn't say it was any worse than when I was just using wooden battens to hold the saw in my ordinary vice at least. It certainly wasn't as bad as the screeching I've had before. I've also just tried it again with a small strip of leather on one jaw face where it's hollowed out (the opening isn't wide enough to line both faces) which seems to deaden any vibrations altogether and the file passes across nice and quietly.

All in all, looks like it will serve me just fine - time to get saw filing :)

DuncanA":250d3rgh said:
Thanks Bod,

I gave it a test run this weekend and it seems to work ok. There was a bit of a rasping sound but it wasn't too bad, I wouldn't say it was any worse than when I was just using wooden battens to hold the saw in my ordinary vice at least. It certainly wasn't as bad as the screeching I've had before. I've also just tried it again with a small strip of leather on one jaw face where it's hollowed out (the opening isn't wide enough to line both faces) which seems to deaden any vibrations altogether and the file passes across nice and quietly.

All in all, looks like it will serve me just fine - time to get saw filing :)

From memory, mine was similar; I'll check. I filed the jaws to fit the way I wanted (i.e. slightly, and uniformly hollow)

BugBear

Back