help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathw

Reaction score
Hello all,
Im new to this site and sure i've come to the right place.
i was wondering if any body could help me, i'm a carpenter but newish to joinery, and am now building a barn door for a friend, its has 44mm X 130mm rail and stiles all morticed and tenoned and has a panel in that made of 6 pieces of 25mm X 98mm T&G (8mm X 15mm T&G), all made from iroko, my question is should I glue the T&G together? also if I do glue the panel as one should the panel float in the door or should that be glued too?
thank you so much for any help! :D

2012-06-08%2017.51.22.jpg

Is it similar to this design?

thank you so much for your replies!
thats great, i did say to my friend we probably shouldn't glue them but the ones in his old one were glued, mind you that did fall apart after a few weeks, :roll:
Yes very similar to that design, I see you put a dowel through the tenons, looks lovely! I was considering fixing it somehow just wasn't sure the hows and whys.
yes i'm using through tenons with wedges, I hope thats right? I'm hoping it will last a lot longer than his last door as the wood alone was more money than the cost of the last door.
i'm using polyurethane glue, I've heard that titebond 3 is good, and I use titebond original on my guitars and it fantastic, but will poly be ok for the outside?
thank you so much for your help, i'll crack on with a bit more confidence today now! :D
i'l post a picture when done! thank you again!

I swear by cascamite for gluing up outside stuff. I used stubbed tenons and draw bored with dowels. Pulls the joints together.
TGV is fixed into stiles and mid rail via grooves and rebates taken out of the top of the outside boards to form a bare faced tongue. The boards are then fixed to the bare faced tenoned btm rail and up the brace via scew nailing.

Heres the gate painted

gate.png

deserter":3etz6eov said:
I made a door similar for my c&g and we screwed the t&g at in over sized holes the plugged the screws so they were not obvious.

I'm assuming a matchboard door... screw and plug from the leger side on the outside boards and scew nail across boards in to legers and braces from matchboard side...

I'll give you a bit of advice. When you're gluing your tenons, you say you have a 130mm stile. When you put glue on the tenon. Just put glue on about 3/4 of the tenon all the way around. Leave the last 1/4 with no glue, and then push tenon into mortice and wedge.
REASON....
When the stile wants to move and it will it will pull from the outside of the tenon rather than pull the stile away from your shoulders on the stile.
Best of luck with your door.

thank you everybody for your help!!
I thought cascamite had stop being made, last time I had used it, it had changed to extramite then disappeared altogether, but I wondered into a timber yard I used to used before I moved and hay presto, there it was on his shelves, so I used that and loved it!! finished the door and just give it a few coats of protective gear and the customer is more than happy! so really thank you all for your advice! it help so much!
happy making!
heath

heathw":2c3mi1ap said:
thank you everybody for your help!!
I thought cascamite had stop being made, last time I had used it, it had changed to extramite then disappeared altogether, but I wondered into a timber yard I used to used before I moved and hay presto, there it was on his shelves, so I used that and loved it!! finished the door and just give it a few coats of protective gear and the customer is more than happy! so really thank you all for your advice! it help so much!
happy making!
heath

Show us a picture. go on, go on, go on......

Teckel":1kbn5il0 said:
I'll give you a bit of advice. When you're gluing your tenons, you say you have a 130mm stile. When you put glue on the tenon. Just put glue on about 3/4 of the tenon all the way around. Leave the last 1/4 with no glue, and then push tenon into mortice and wedge.
REASON....
When the stile wants to move and it will it will pull from the outside of the tenon rather than pull the stile away from your shoulders on the stile.

Sorry, I read this over and over and it still makes no sense.
No offence meant.

phil.p":24algav9 said:
Teckel":24algav9 said:
REASON....

Sorry, I read this over and over and it still makes no sense.
No offence meant.
None taken phil.
What I mean is, the tenon is 130mm long going into the stile which is obviously 130mm wide. The OP is gluing straight grain to cross grain..the cross grain will want to move. So if you cover 3/4 the length of the tenon with glue it allows the last 1/4 to move.
If glue is applied to the whole tenon, the weakest point along the stile is the shoulder area, it will not pull from the wedge side. so when the stile expands and contracts it will pull from the shoulder thus leaving a hairline craic in paintwork. I am speaking from experience here phil as most of the joinery I done was for period houses and the whole job could take a few years. I would be back on site several times during the renovation and noticed that the doors would have this craic at the shoulder. So I tried this method and it does work.

Thank you again for your help, for some reason it won't let me upload a pic? but im hanging the door tomorrow so i'll take another pic an try again. many thanks, heath.

Back