Help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
A family friend recently had their house broken in to and apart from the things that where stolen a cribbage board / box was damaged. The box in question was made by our friends grandfather around a hundred years ago so holds a deal of sentiment value. The damage is not catastrophic and would be so much easier to repair but for the fact that the piece that has been broken off has also been lost. I have been asked to repair the item in question and at the time I agreed I was certain I had some material that would suit, however having turned the workshop upside down I can’t find what I need. Obviously under the current situation my options for sourcing anything are somewhat limited.
What I need is a small piece of mahogany from which to finish a piece 90mm x 30mm at 9mm thick.
If any one has a suitable off cut lying around they would be prepared to sell I would be extremely grateful, obviously it would need to be posted to me.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Richard, I have more Mahogany than you could possibly imagine! If you could post a photo of the damaged area I'm sure I can find a matching piece for you.

Post a picture because mahogany is very variable. You'll want if possible to match both colour and grain orientation. I'd guess you want to make look like it wasn't damaged, so far as you can.

I might have some scraps to suit.

Thank you one and all, very generous offers. I have taken some pictures and I’m just trying to work out how to upload them from my iPad, please bear with me I’ll have them up soon
Richard

55A9B8BF-E709-44C7-92E8-89AC4ABCA045.jpeg
0F6F4B56-A632-4ABF-84C1-07DE29186224.jpeg

Attachments

• 0F6F4B56-A632-4ABF-84C1-07DE29186224.jpeg
    0F6F4B56-A632-4ABF-84C1-07DE29186224.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 55A9B8BF-E709-44C7-92E8-89AC4ABCA045.jpeg
    55A9B8BF-E709-44C7-92E8-89AC4ABCA045.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 231
Here you go, grain is very straight and runs horizontally around the box.
Trying to decide if it would be better to splice in just the missing piece or make a complete new end panel.

Making a whole new end would be easier and look better. That way even if the colour match is not exact it will still look less like a patch.
Regards
John

Richard I'm sure I can find you a piece and put it in the post to you but I agree with orraloon you will make a better job of it if you replace the whole end piece. So, are the measurements you gave 90x30x9 enough or would you need a larger piece?

Richard
if you can't get what you want I have loads of mahogany and certainly could find something suitable, good quality stuff as I scrounged loads of large offcuts from Riley the snooker table manufacturers in Lancashire. Really well seasoned when I got it and that was well over 30 years ago. :wink:

Latest posts

Back