Help please - Youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all. Like lots of members, I subscribe to a number of YouTube video providers - things that interest me, like "10 Minute Workshop" as just one example.

However, I seem to be getting more and more vids "appearing" on my list of videos to watch, including some I've never even heard of, let alone subscribed to. I see all sorts of options available in Youtube, but not one way to delete those I don't want/have never subscribed to.

Can anyone tell me how to delete them please.

FYI I'm using a Lenovo laptop, 5+ years old, running Win 7 (Yes, I know, but I have found an automatic critical updates workaround, so this will stay until I get around to changing to Linux), using MS Internet explorer 11 and MS Edge.

All help & how to's much appreciated (EXCEPT "buy a new PC/change to Apple"):

TIA

I also have a lot of subscriptions and use this URL when I log into my account on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions

This shows me only my subscribed providers and the latest videos. If I want to see the wide open field of YouTube videos, I click on the "YouTube" link in the upper left corner.

Thanks Mike. I tried that and was at least able to "unsubscribe" from some channels I've never even heard of - some in a language I do not understand at all!

"So far so good"

Hi Andy,
When on your home page and have the pictures of the videos in the grid, if you put the cursor over the vid and click on the 3 dots that appear, you can select "Don't recommend channel" and that will stop any suggestion for vids from that channel from then on once you refresh the page

hth

I’m pretty sure YouTube algorithms are deliberately showing bad selections if you have watch history turned off. I actually turned history back on and recommendations are now much more in tune with what I actually watch. Before I was getting absolute c**p in suggestions. No amount of flagging not interested still resulted in useless recommendations. I strongly suspect it’s an underhand way to keep scraping info on you but ultimately I was prepared to suffer the invasion of privacy rather than the complete dross being pushed at me.

Hi Andy,
When on your home page and have the pictures of the videos in the grid, if you put the cursor over the vid and click on the 3 dots that appear, you can select "Don't recommend channel" and that will stop any suggestion for vids from that channel from then on once you refresh the page

hth

Ah, thanks Droogs, that works a treat.

I’m pretty sure YouTube algorithms are deliberately showing bad selections if you have watch history turned off. I actually turned history back on and recommendations are now much more in tune with what I actually watch. Before I was getting absolute c**p in suggestions. No amount of flagging not interested still resulted in useless recommendations. I strongly suspect it’s an underhand way to keep scraping info on you but ultimately I was prepared to suffer the invasion of privacy rather than the complete dross being pushed at me.

Thanks for that too. I see what you mean - I'll turn my history back on.

As to Instagram, I'm sure it's "good" and all that but for years I've be saying "NO social media for me" and kept that up until recently, when I took up WhatsApp ('cos bloody MS have completely ruined Skype since they bought it). So I'll just stick to WA thanks, 'cos I still need low-no-cost international comms now and then. But I'm just not a social media type and though I'm sure Instagram is "jolly good", I guess I can get the same/similar info elsewhere thanks all the same. Too much "noo tecknolergy" just 'urts me head!

Youtube is designed to do two things:
1) keep you on youtube more
2) move you to videos that it thinks you might be interested in if they are more profitable (ad cohort-wise than what you're watching).

Agree with the comment above - on certain screens you can right click on a video settings and say "don't recommend videos by this youtuber" or whatever the text is. That's probably about as good as it will get...

....and the algorithm or setup will change, so don't get too used to getting a handle on anything. It's not in their interest to let you view just what you want and not have other stuff run under your nose.

Latest posts

Back