Help Please with Tool Store Column Headings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

If this table doesn't display properly you will need to edit your profile and allow html.

I am updating the internet tool stores and I would like people's views on the column headings.

<TABLE border="1" width="100%"><tr align="center"><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Germany</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Site</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Updated</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Hand</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Power</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Sundries</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Spares</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Ecomm</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Rating</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Comments</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Dick</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.dick-gmbh.com</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">27/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">8</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes-SSL</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">7</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Worth Visiting</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Fine Tools</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.fine-tools.com</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">27/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">8</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes-SSL</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">7</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Worth Visiting</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">United Kingdom</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Site</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Updated</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Hand</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Power</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Sundries</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Spares</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Ecomm</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Rating</font></td><td><font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Arial">Comments</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Alltools</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.alltools.co.uk</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">28/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">No</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">2</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Poor.</font></td></tr></table>

Are there any columns you would like to take out or have I missed any?

Thanks
Neil

Hmmm - good ole phpBB seems to be inserting an HTML line break for every line break in the HTML you're trying to insert - without the line breaks it renders like this :-
<TABLE border="1" width="100%"><tr align="center"><td><font color="#CC0000" size="1" face="Arial">Germany</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Site</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Updated</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Hand</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Power</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Sundries</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Spares</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Ecomm</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Rating</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Comments</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Dick</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.dick-gmbh.com</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">27/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">8</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes-SSL</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">7</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Worth Visiting</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Fine Tools</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.fine-tools.com</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">27/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">8</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes-SSL</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">7</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Worth Visiting</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font color="#CC0000" size="1" face="Arial">United Kingdom</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Site</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Updated</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Hand</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Power</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Sundries</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Spares</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Ecomm</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Rating</font></td><td><font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Arial">Comments</font></td></tr><tr align="center"><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Alltools</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">http://www.alltools.co.uk</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">28/11/05</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">-</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">No</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">2</font></td><td><font size="1" face="Arial">Poor.</font></td></tr></table>

I guess the only way to do it is to layout your HTML in your favourite manner & then delete all your line breaks before posting in the forum (unless Charley can find a way to stop phpBB from inserting the extra breaks).

Richard

Hi all

Thanks to everybody for their help in solving the table issues.

Now, what about the columns. Are you happy or is there something else you would like to see?

Cheers
Neil

PS Sorry everybody but, as the table issue is now resolved, I took the opportunity to tidy up the thread as nearly all of the posts were about the gap. :roll:

Neil,

The only other comment is that if you see the code and not the table, check your profile to see if the HTML is turned on.

The only other comment is that if you see the code and not the table, check your profile to see if the HTML is turned on.

thought there was something wrong with me cos all I could see was geekspeak.......sheeshh...

:oops:

I trust this isn't a suggestion that's gonna cause tearing of hair, but could the column headings be in a different colour? Something a little more contrasting to the link colour, I mean. Also, what does the "8" under "Hand" mean exactly? Would it be better if it was just an affirmative or negative? Just thinking aloud really. Looks dead professional though, Neil. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Hi,
I wonder if country of origin is worthwhile. So much is bought by mail these days.

I use Dick in Germany for hard to find stuff like decent saw files, small rasps etc etc. How about a category which rates the supplier by the tyhings they have and the difficulkty of finding them elsewhere.

eg Screwfix = 0
Dick = 10

I think the country is excalent - means I know which one work in euros, so no nasty exchange rates!

As a follow on, another column that might be worth considering is if they will ship overseas - not all will.

Cracking idea though - keep up the good work!

Les

Hi Alf

Alf":1i127r0d said:
I trust this isn't a suggestion that's gonna cause tearing of hair, but could the column headings be in a different colour?

I've changed them all to be in red as it was the only colour that was a real contrast.

Also, what does the "8" under "Hand" mean exactly?

I had been entertaining thoughts of it being a rating that I gave when it was initially included and then updated by the membership. I thought that a range of 1 - 9 would give good coverage.

Would it be better if it was just an affirmative or negative? Just thinking aloud really.

Yes it would be a lot easier but I was trying to make it a little bit more helpful. This could just as easily be be be Poor/Good/Excellent.

Looks dead professional though, Neil.

:oops: OK, it wasn't just down to me.

Cheers
Neil

PS Thanks for the input.

Hi Les

Thanks for the input.

Les Mahon":15qu8hts said:
I think the country is excalent - means I know which one work in euros, so no nasty exchange rates!

OK, good reason to keep it in.

Les Mahon":15qu8hts said:
As a follow on, another column that might be worth considering is if they will ship overseas - not all will.

Good idea, what do others think.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Beech

Thanks for your input.

beech1948":3rqdjq25 said:
I wonder if country of origin is worthwhile. So much is bought by mail these days.

I understand what you're saying, but as it's the column heading it's not taking up any space.

beech1948":3rqdjq25 said:
I use Dick in Germany for hard to find stuff like decent saw files, small rasps etc etc. How about a category which rates the supplier by the tyhings they have and the difficulkty of finding them elsewhere.

eg Screwfix = 0
Dick = 10

Brilliant. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Back