Help please - "tool" gone "all sticky" outside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no good/permanent solution - there was a similar thread on here some while ago
Unless you really need it then its probably going down the recycle route

I know this is not helpful, but it was probably produced in China and very little lasts long that they produce!

I know this is not helpful, but it was probably produced in China and very little lasts long that they produce!
Go and buy products from countries that have a better human rights policy then, but you will pay a lot more. We are all guilty of being advantaged from low cost products, either due to lack of funds, lack of availability (because cheap versions have pushed the expensive out,) or just bargain hunting, and the internet makes that easier. I think it is too generalised a comment though as some good quality precision products are also made in China, let's not be racist.

Being an old fuddy-duddy I HATE chucking stuff away, but if (a big IF) I told my wife about it she'd ask me what I want to use it for, and my honest reply would be "No idea,
I am very similar and find it difficult to throw things away.

Not used for five years, no identified future use, gone all sticky and horrible. There really is only one place for it. Personally I might try cleaning it just for interest but then (hopefully) it would go in the bin.

Ever removed a sticker or label from your shiny new tool and then found the adhesive has been left behind ( very sticky and difficult to remove ) a friend suggested electrical contact cleaner and it removes it after a couple attempts . My son applied a transfer sticker to his Xbox but changed his mind and removed it leaving the sticky adhesive behind - looked a mess -a few sprays of contact cleaner and back to new . Another one to try is evo stick contact adhesive remover but it’s more aggressive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
A dab radio did the same. I was told by the mfc it was a problem found 'too late', and no fix.
I'd suggest the bin is the right place for it? Put it down to experience.

I have a Kowa scope that did the same, I sprayed it with a rubberised paint that a friend had used on a home buil;t aircraft (RV type) and it did the trick.

That is demonstrably untrue in at least some cases fixit45.

Anyway, in this particular case, (and it suspect it true in many cases also) I didn't set out to buy something "cheap and cheerful" OR something made in China or anywhere else.

I needed the capability of this particular "widget" and bought one - IF I remember correctly, it was bought at some airport or another, and again if I remember correctly, it was the only one for sale there. There are MANY cases where people do NOT choose "just" by price, and certainly not by origin of manufacturer.

The zoom grip on an old Sigma camera lens went the same way; discovered when I got it out to put it in P/X against a new camera. I tried all sorts, though not the abrasive ones obviously. Nothing worked, lens had zero value.

Lots of replies here saying there's no solution or to use harsh solvents.

The answer is buried in a small comment above - baking soda mixed with a drop of water to a coarse paste. The stickiness scrubs right off! I have done this on a few items, each with great results.

The answer is buried in a small comment above - baking soda mixed with a drop of water to a coarse paste. The stickiness scrubs right off! I have done this on a few items, each with great results.
On what product Steve? Same as the OP's? Different mix perhaps?
Worth trying though.

Yup, thanks steve, I HAD noticed the comments and am going to try baking soda, even though, just as I expected, SWMBO has indeed already pointed out that I don't really have any further use for it! (Did I say, it's a little folding solar panel/s which you can use to recharge stuff like mobile phones, cameras, etc)? As my better half pointed out, these days I never go anywhere where there's no socket on the wall ready to deliver mains voltage/s. BUT, as she's also pointed out - many times - I'm just a stubborn old donkey (I think that's what she said)!

Thanks for all the inputs everyone, I'll let you know how I get on - but it's not priority No. 1 though.

Cheers

I have had success removing the outer sticky layer by rubbing with Isopropyl alcohol - others report the same.

Good luck.

I've had the same with Roadhawk dashcams, portable radios, Garmin satnav, remote controls, and others.

Would really like to find a solution that works as they're all working fine, just you can't touch them!

Last edited:
I recently went to use my x-rite screen calibrator and the "stirrup" had gone sticky. It was some 15 years old but the replacement cost being around £260 and with it working perfectly with current software, there was no way I was going to junk it. I tried various benign solvents including methanol, IPA and proprietary label remover but no success until I tried methylated spirits. It did require some serious elbow grease with a soaked rag and it seemed at first that it was simply aggravating the problem, but finally the coating had been softened enough to rub it off and expose the shiny base plastic.

Back