Help please kity table saw 419

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of you know i have taken the table off the kity table saw, i do not know what these round washer type things with threads in the middle that match the bolts that hold the table down to the saw, and where they should go back, do you recognise them if so please help me Alan

Attachments

• DSC_4873.JPG
    DSC_4873.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_4871.JPG
    DSC_4871.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_4875.JPG
    DSC_4875.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_4877.JPG
    DSC_4877.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 119
I think they are adjusters for the sliding table, to set the height of the sliding part relative to the fixed table.

Bod

Thank you Bob i am away at the moment but ill get back to you with a update when i get home thanks' again Alan

Bod is correct... but they don't work very well in my experience. Whilst they do adjust the height of the support bars for the track for the sliding carriage, they still need locknuts really, so there is no advantage in having thumbwheels - you might just as well have two ornery nuts and a washer.

From memory, I think pretty much everything associated with the table top is M5 thread (apart from throat plate screws). Apart from thread length you can pretty much make it up as you go along.

The only thing I would significantly change is the arrangement for the trunnion (tilt hinge) clamps: as fitted on mine, there were separate nuts for each machine screw, and lock washers (useless!). So I made up two plates of the same size (basically straps), with holes for the screws in the same places. I tack welded a nut to each hole - epoxy would probably do it instead, and will fail "gracefully" in this context - so that you can both loosen and tighten the machine screw (one-at-a time!), through the table top, _without_ needing to spanner the nut underneath. Otherwise access to those nuts is horrible once the machine is assembled into its cabinet frame.

Axminster had it the sensible way on the TS 200: a thick steel strap with threaded holes, instead of the two nuts. You could equally well make up the same sort of thing for the Kity, but you can't use the Axminster part though: The trunnion pivots/hinges/mounts on the TS 200 are thinner steel bar than on the Kity (the Kity is considerably stronger in that regard), so the Kity bars will not fit into the equivalent Axminster saddle.

Cheers, E.

I am also looking to make one of these in the photo from metal or ?? Mock

Attachments

• DSC_4835.JPG
    DSC_4835.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_4870.JPG
    DSC_4870.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 39
mock":dm0hbn2i said:
I am also looking to make one of these in the photo from metal or ?? Mock

I still think it's worth contacting ChaoticBob about having one (or several) made, rather than struggle yourself, as I said in my PM's.

Wood would be fine if it were just a handle, but the cog teeth present the real issue, as you've found out.

You might be able to find a metal cog of the correct teeth and size someplace, but will it also have the same hole size too? That seems to me to be a needle/ haystack situation. Do they even make cog blanks you can drill your own holes in, and can YOU drill it so it's super accurate?

Then you have to attach it somehow to the metal handle you bought. All the above is time and money.

Too many "mights" for my book, contact CB I'm confident he can set you right.

(this was not a sponsored post :))

To be honest, Is that amount of time and money worth spending on a little 419 Kity saw?

If it were me, depending on how the mechanism works (I'm guessing the handle transmits to a 90-degree gear joint to allow a rise and fall), I'd be looking at replacing both parts with 90-degree steel bevel gears with bores matched to the shaft diameters which can be had fairly inexpensively. I'd then pin those gears to their accompanying shafts (If there are any) and then pin the handle to the shaft that controls the rise and fall.

If I had a clue about what it all looked like I could advise but I would tell you to seriously consider letting the saw be someone else's problem and put the money into something better like a Wadkin AGS.

Back