Help please Axminster Trade Series ST-480 Bench Mounted Drum/Brush Sander 230v

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if you can advise me regarding the value of my
Axminster Trade Series ST-480 Bench Mounted Drum/Brush Sander 230v
I am thinking of selling it as it's not getting used .And i can not remember what i paid for it ££££

With i could Brian i purchased her second-hand and for the life of me i can not remember what i paid for it or who i purchased it from old age don't come on it own

On the Axminster website they're £775,- new, depending on the age and state of your machine you should be able to come up with a number you're happy with and think will sell

Cheers!

Ferenc

Ferenc i think that's for the wire brush roller not the machine ' and Brian i can not find any for sale or been sold on the auction site's Mock

Just been on to Axminster tools to ask what they were selling for when they sold them
Good afternoon, the last time this machine was sold it was £1200.00
Thank's i now have a idea of a price

When did you buy it? The waybackmachine may help find the old webpage

They go for about £350-£450 now, I’ve been watching the second hand market for them for a while recently
Aidan

I bought an ST-480 drum sander from Axminster in April 2015, I've just found the receipt.

I got the basic sander, ie without the wire brush attachment. I paid £1549.96 inc VAT, I also bought the cabinet/stand, which was an additional £359.95 inc VAT.

They go for about £350-£450 now,

It's like the old banger that's for sale, where the value doubles if the tank's full of petrol.

A roll of sandpaper for this machine now costs virtually £100, which gives about ten or twelve loadings. Most of these machines that crop up for sale come with a few full rolls. At this sort of price they should sell the sandpaper and toss in the drum sander for free!

Last one Axi sold with a known price was in August this year at £999 with cabinet and delivery (ebay listing). Given the cabinet was £360 in 2015 (as above) I suspect this went up by 2020. Even taking 2015 prices into account that makes the price of the unit well under £700 new.

Second hand wise, it's a case of what people are prepared to pay for it relative to location as it's not something readily shipped without issue, especially with the single sided drum. I bough the previous incarnation of the model as it's 2nd user for about £350 a few years back.

Don't mean to break any forum rules in the discussion here, I saw your advert on market place and whilst interested felt the price too high for a 2nd user discontinued unit. I'm down the road from you (relatively speaking) and probably interested in getting another unit but the current asking price doesn't make sense for me. Based on The Tiddles comments above of noticing an average of £350 to £450 I'd be happy to discuss a collection price in PM's. Give me a shout if interested.

I spoke to Axminster through chat on the website and asked what the machine sold for when they last sold them £

Good afternoon, the last time this machine was sold it was £1200.00
Please note this might be the price with a cupboard underneath I do have it for sale on this forum Mock

whilst interested felt the price too high for a 2nd user discontinued unit.

Axminster may have stopped selling it, but is it actually discontinued?

The ST-480 is a re-badged version of Laguna's Supermax 19-38, which as far as I can tell is still being sold,

https://supermaxtools.com/products/wood/19-38-drum-sander-71938-d/
Incidentally, I really hate sounding like a fan boy but I've used this machine for about five years, I'm a full time furniture maker and it's processed many hundreds of square metres of super hard veneers like Rosewood, Wenge, Leadwood, and Ebony. On the really tough timbers I find I'm limited to removing under 0.15mm per pass, so not terrible but not the best either. On the other hand the accuracy and quality are really first class, with even very wide veneers flat within less than +/-0.1mm from side to side. Another plus is that you don't get as much dubbing over on the leading and trailing edges as you do with some other drum sanders, at a pinch you can process lamination leaves without leaving excess length for trimming later. Also I'm still on the original conveyor belt, which isn't bad going for a machine that get's a lot of use, although I'll probably replace it in the coming year. Final point, I can change the abrasive loadings, including cutting a fresh one from a longer belt, in under ten minutes.

At these kind of second hand prices a decent example would represent very good value for money.

Back