Help our kids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
I much prefer woodworking to politics and I hope this is OK on the forum, this is copy of an email I received from the Furniture Makers Company, please sign the petition if you can!

Dear All,

Design and Technology: Educating the future today to ensure tomorrow’s skilled workforce!

I am writing to you on a significant issue which could, potentially, have long term effects on tomorrow’s workforce within the British Furnishing Industry, caused by what may be unintended consequences of the Government’s new English Baccalaureate scheme (Ebacc). From 2016 onward school performance will be measured on just a few core subjects which exclude Design and Technology, the cornerstones of our industry’s future. Take a look at Why? here

These creative subjects do not form part of the Ebacc and so we will not only see funding reduce in the coming years but the knock-on effect could reduce the availability of a skilled workforce. There are already fewer DT teachers than required and many schools are closing their workshops to save money and focus their efforts on more ‘space efficient’ subjects. This loss of training will, of course, reduce the number of school children who have spent time making and designing products. This in turn will lower their interest in entering design or manufacturing led careers.

A united voice is a strong voice and we need every single person within our wonderful industry to respond to this call to action. I am, therefore, making a personal plea to add your voice to sign the petition NOW to make the Government think again about how their reforms would damage our creative industries. Also please take the time to write to your MP.

Currently around 88,000 people in this country think this is important enough for a national debate in Parliament, we need only another 12,000 to ensure our voice is heard. Your industry needs your support!

The creative industries punch well above their weight, contributing £71.4 billion to the UK economy so it’s time to support, nurture and protect the designers/makers and craftsmen/women of tomorrow. So, please take a few seconds to add your support, and I would also urge you to pass on this email to anyone else who might join us in preventing this unnecessary threat to our strong industry.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111731

Thanks Peter

Done and forwarded Peter,

No probs my end Phil. I always found Norton a pita when I used it.

There nothing wrong with the site I can find. Expect it's Norton giving false alarm.

Just check Google for the many times Norton throws up false positives!

Perhaps the new version of Norton is made of pallet wood :D

More government attempts to make us a service country and turn our kids into blobby button pushers, will make an invasion very easy when their transformation is complete - I wonder who will take over??

Just signed. It seems that creativity in young people begins and ends in front of a computer screen these days.

Hello,

Signed, but not hopeful of any effect. DandT association send me regular info on policy and various petitions against the current dumbing down, which I always sign, I Work in DandT dept in secondary school and fear the future is bleak. The Ebac is not the only problem, the new technology GCSE exams now have a single exam for all DandT subjects, so product design, textiles, graphics, engineering, and others have the same exam, so effectively pupils can only do one subject. Practical coursework contribution to the overall grade has been reduced too, so the subject is becoming more 'academic'. So kids who may have been very skilled and creative, but not so exam orientated are now penalised. To be honest, product design as a subject is already so broad and thin, I feel the kids learn little of any value in any case. School funding is being cut in real terms and technology subjects are expensive to run. Inevitably, academies will not pay to run the courses as it is not cost effective. GCSE's are GCSE's after all, and even the kids are just after quantity rather than what they are.

Mike.

Back