Help our kids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":16j66h15 said:
Hello,

Signed, but not hopeful of any effect. DandT association send me regular info on policy and various petitions against the current dumbing down, which I always sign, I Work in DandT dept in secondary school and fear the future is bleak. The Ebac is not the only problem, the new technology GCSE exams now have a single exam for all DandT subjects, so product design, textiles, graphics, engineering, and others have the same exam, so effectively pupils can only do one subject. Practical coursework contribution to the overall grade has been reduced too, so the subject is becoming more 'academic'. So kids who may have been very skilled and creative, but not so exam orientated are now penalised. To be honest, product design as a subject is already so broad and thin, I feel the kids learn little of any value in any case. School funding is being cut in real terms and technology subjects are expensive to run. Inevitably, academies will not pay to run the courses as it is not cost effective. GCSE's are GCSE's after all, and even the kids are just after quantity rather than what they are.

Mike.

It is a very sad situation, I could see the writing was on the wall ten years ago when I worked in FE. Five day courses became three day then down to two which then became watered down with key skills, Core skills or whatever the new name was. The students were pushed more towards CAD design as the funding was better.

I left as this was one of the first times some students had done any real woodworking and then the establishment was trying to do everything possible to stop that from happening. I do fear for the future of the schools and the trades.

blackrodd":1fr3hh9n said:
Thanks for showing this, Peter.
Just signed this at 92948, do they ever bloody listen?
probably be replaced with lessons in camel riding!
Rodders

Will they listen, possibly not.

I joined 60 other concerned furniture professionals at Furniture Makers Hall before Christmas in the City of London, we came from all over the UK to discuss the training needs and education future of the trades. The only speaker who didn't attend was the Government Minister who had to travel 2 miles across town!

Thanks for trying, Peter

You have to wonder what makes it so desirable for successive Governments to constantly bemoan the 'skills shortage' while simultaneously smashing the 'education' system apart in the ongoing battle for 'testing all kids to the same standards'. My lad is Five. He comes home every day with homework. He's a pretty bright kid, he's interested in the world. He can roll off the names of stuff that fascinates him. The natural world, animal behaviour, all sorts of stuff. Like nearly all kids he has a natural enthusiasm for life. A spontaneous and natural desire to learn all about the world. Then I sit him down and say, come on son, let's get this done and we can crack on with something else. And what scares me is that I can see this defeat in his eyes sometimes. This weariness that it's time to do homework yet again. At five.
That's pretty terrifying isn't it?
I hope I haven't strayed too far from the point but for me the issues are absolutely and completely related.
I have to admit, I think it's a very British thing and a remnant of the class system. A lot of people still look down on trades even now. 'Manual labour.' Anyway I'm not George Orwell so I'll leave it there. If you look at certain countries, there's a complety different attitude. Germany is making a concerted effort to increase it's apprenticeships according to Radio 4 at least and my dismal knowledge.

Signed!

phil.p":jzmineqd said:
I've not had a single problem with Norton, ever.
Until now :mrgreen:

You've been lucky, my brother is a PC technician and I couldn't tell you the number of problems he's experienced over the years with installations of various parts of Norton's security suite.

shed9":14w4gyif said:
Signed and shared.

This is a huge issue that extends beyond school, a lot of universities are cutting back on creative and arts.

I've never understood the constant academic drive that seems to lead education in the UK.

It is a problem across the entire education system but I feel your school years should provide a full range of experiences, it's from these humble beginnings we decide which way we would like to live our lives.

After hearing the guy who started Pimlico Plumbers on the radio the other day I'm surprised all children aren't queuing up to be plumbers. When the figure of £150.000 p. a. was mentioned he said they'd have to work 60 hours or more a week to make that. :D He admitted he was talking of London.

Signed @ 93149, it's was from the ability to use all manner of equipment at school I am where I am now, not being academic i found my ability to draw and make things in woodwork and metalwork was definitely my way forward.

Homers double":3c4jsr8j said:
Signed @ 93149, it's was from the ability to use all manner of equipment at school I am where I am now, not being academic i found my ability to draw and make things in woodwork and metalwork was definitely my way forward.

For kids who are not academic school can be a very long slog of not achieving, finding what you are good at makes it a brighter place.

Bm101":vlh6ehyf said:
You have to wonder what makes it so desirable for successive Governments to constantly bemoan the 'skills shortage' while simultaneously smashing the 'education' system apart in the ongoing battle for 'testing all kids to the same standards'. My lad is Five. He comes home every day with homework. He's a pretty bright kid, he's interested in the world. He can roll off the names of stuff that fascinates him. The natural world, animal behaviour, all sorts of stuff. Like nearly all kids he has a natural enthusiasm for life. A spontaneous and natural desire to learn all about the world. Then I sit him down and say, come on son, let's get this done and we can crack on with something else. And what scares me is that I can see this defeat in his eyes sometimes. This weariness that it's time to do homework yet again. At five.
That's pretty terrifying isn't it?
I hope I haven't strayed too far from the point but for me the issues are absolutely and completely related.
I have to admit, I think it's a very British thing and a remnant of the class system. A lot of people still look down on trades even now. 'Manual labour.' Anyway I'm not George Orwell so I'll leave it there. If you look at certain countries, there's a complety different attitude. Germany is making a concerted effort to increase it's apprenticeships according to Radio 4 at least and my dismal knowledge.

I have two kids a similar age to yours, the homework and pressure they are under is in my option too much. I can see some kids who aren't so accedemic getting the failure feeling by the time they are teenagers, with no craft or engineering lessons to re-light their spark. What a sad state of education and life for them.

As much as I tried I wasn't academically gifted. (Back in the days when you had to have more than a pulse to get into university). A trade was all that was available to me. Having had a business and worn a suit for 20 years, then reverted back to the tools, the job satisfaction from the tools outweighs the office/management work a thousand fold. Had I known what I know today I'd have stayed on the tools and tried to perfect my skills, instead of chasing the £££'s. The trade options simply don't exist now.

There is virtually no scope in schools to cater for people with no interest or aptitude for academia. I've found it incredibly hard with and for my own kids.

I can't imagine what will happen if this absurd academy thing goes through. Corporations in charge of education will not end well.

Graham Orm":8hmlbq00 said:
As much as I tried I wasn't academically gifted. (Back in the days when you had to have more than a pulse to get into university). A trade was all that was available to me. Having had a business and worn a suit for 20 years, then reverted back to the tools, the job satisfaction from the tools outweighs the office/management work a thousand fold. Had I known what I know today I'd have stayed on the tools and tried to perfect my skills, instead of chasing the £££'s. The trade options simply don't exist now.

My older brother has just gone back to his original building trade doing property development after spending 20+ years in the Prison Service. He had forgotten the joy of seeing the fruits of his efforts at the end on the day.

I was a never destined to go to university but have been grateful for the trade that has given me my hobby as my career. I enjoy it as much now as 30 years ago when I started.

Latest posts

Back