Help our kids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No skills":1wxtl2bo said:
Perhaps the new version of Norton is made of pallet wood :D

More government attempts to make us a service country and turn our kids into blobby button pushers, will make an invasion very easy when their transformation is complete - I wonder who will take over??

This has been a slow decline for over 20 years but now the knife cut is getting deeper and the surgeon has forgotten that if he cuts this artery the patient may not survive. God bless us all.

Thanks for showing this, Peter.
Just signed this at 92948, do they ever bloody listen?
probably be replaced with lessons in camel riding!
Rodders

Done Peter. Now up to 92,000. I can't help having the feeling of closing the gate after the horse is long gone though.

Signed and shared.

This is a huge issue that extends beyond school, a lot of universities are cutting back on creative and arts.

I've never understood the constant academic drive that seems to lead education in the UK.

Done - 93,007

Unfortunately like others I doubt it'll change anything. Still, - at least we'll have better educated unemployed youngsters!

Graham Orm":3icx0nrd said:
Done Peter. Now up to 92,000. I can't help having the feeling of closing the gate after the horse is long gone though.
Graham, it grieves me how often when perusing Ebay I see a lathe, bandsaw, whatever with "Removed from a school" in the details.There is a lovely old Graduate in my son's school - as far as I can find out it hasn't been used for decades. There was a letter in The Times some while ago from a guy who ran an engineering firm who commented that he very much favoured apprenticeships, but how was he expected in three years to turn into engineers kids who had never held a hammer?

phil.p":cmkza0p5 said:
Graham Orm":cmkza0p5 said:
Graham, it grieves me how often when perusing Ebay I see a lathe, bandsaw, whatever with "Removed from a school" in the details.There is a lovely old Graduate in my son's school - as far as I can find out it hasn't been used for decades. There was a letter in The Times some while ago from a guy who ran an engineering firm who commented that he very much favoured apprenticeships, but how was he expected in three years to turn into engineers kids who had never held a hammer?
:roll: :cry:

Sorry to say I wasn't allowed to sign Peter - I guess because I'm coming off a Swiss provider's URL.

But I do agree with all that's said above and frankly, as an expat Brit with a technical background, I despair of the UK and it's "industry" (wood, metal, whatever).

There was a thread in one of the sections a while back (Metalworking if I remember correctly) talking about the "fact" (?) that H+S will not allow the use of coolant when teaching kids turning on the lathe (metal).

I really hate people who compare "back home" with "paradise here" - it always smacks of self-justification for me - but from what little I see & hear (we have no kids of our own), the teaching of all types of technical/"hand work" subjects here is far better that what apparently happens in UK today.

Good luck with the petition.

AES

Back