Help! Osmo Top Oil turned my walnut white!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabeta279

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just applied the second coat of Osmo Topsoil Clear Satin to a new walnut console I've made. I was going to go with walnut oil, but figured I'd try this as it will take a battering with keys and other hard objects over the years.

It's come out looking very 'whitewashed' - I may have added too much in the second coat or it may be as it's sitting over a radiator and the heat may have dried the wax too fast or something.

Any tips on how to tone down/remove this white colour wash - feels a sin for walnut to not have that lovely deep colour....!

https://osmouk.com/product/topoil/

I think white spirits are the recommended solvent for osmo, might be worth wiping some over it to try and get some of the excess off. I find osmo really does need to be applied in very light coats, and I wouldn't put any finish above a radiator while it's drying/curing!

Wonder if they but the wrong label in the bottle and u have the white satin by mistake?

do you have a scrap off walnut you could try some more on, and just leave that in the house somewhere and see if it does the same?

I am so sorry to hear, I have used that top oil many times on walnut cutting boards with success. Do you think something is wrong with the oil ? Please see my pics.

Attachments

• 6BB29CFF-2033-49B3-A67E-FCEC1518678D.jpeg
    6BB29CFF-2033-49B3-A67E-FCEC1518678D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 35
  • C57245B9-5948-43C2-A2F6-CC5728C62D9B.jpeg
    C57245B9-5948-43C2-A2F6-CC5728C62D9B.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 34
Osmo Polyx should be applied as thinly as possible. Better to apply two or three coats than to try to get one nice thick one on first. Last year I sanded some oak to 320 grit and that was too fine for Osmo. I have to remove the wet and start again reducing the grit to 180. As far as I remember I very gently removed the oil with meths . It worked fine.

Hi all,

Ok, tried first rub of White spirit - I 'think' this may have marginally improved, obviously need to wait for it to dry to tell for sure. Any tips on best approach - could put rotex/mirka deros on it with sponge or something if quicker....!? Should I let it soak in first or just rub away?

JAW911 - note as per link at top, note this is a Osmo Top Oil (not Poly X, just in case this makes a difference)

Hmm ok, tried about three coats of white spirit and it's improved slightly, but not dramatically.

I'm just using a sponge at the moment to rub it - should I go with something more abrasive?

PS here's the damage! You'll see it's just the top part that has Osmo top Oil on

Attachments

• PXL_20210209_164326121.jpg
    PXL_20210209_164326121.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 93
it still looks to me like its the wrong Osmo

https://osmouk.com/product/topoil/
there is a white satin which looks like what is on your piece (looking at the sample on the Osmo website) as opposed to Clear Satin - possible the wrong label was applied to the bottle.

Are you able to get one to two of the 'sample' sachets online - only a couple of pounds, id get the PolyX Satin clear and the Top Oil Satin Clear, and try those on some offcuts

Nice console btw!

Last edited:
PS here's the damage! You'll see it's just the top part that has Osmo top Oil on

Woah that is quite dramatic! As Rorton said, they do a few colour variations including white and "natural" which has white pigment in too.
Can you check the label to ensure the number matches up with what you're expecting?
I've had a tin of osmo which had an English label stuck over a label in another language. If that's the case for you you could try peeling it off and checking the number on the one underneath to see if it is definitely the right stuff.

Also, have you tried finishing a scrap of walnut not over a radiator to see if the same thing happens?

Latest posts

Back