help on choosing chisels and block plane needed please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update: i ended going a different route with the plane. My brother was coming over from the US so i got him to bring over a lovely veritas low angle plane and a concave palm plane. Both absolutely beautiful and at the much more attractive price available to those in the US.

Still haven't got the chisels yet. Probably leaning towards the Narex just as they'll be my first ones to mess about with. Them or the Ashley Iles.

I don't have a sharpening system either - is scary sharp the cheapest way to go for a few chisels and planes?

scubadoo":2u3j36ls said:

I don't have a sharpening system either - is scary sharp the cheapest way to go for a few chisels and planes?
No it isn't. The wet n dry has to be replaced.
Cheapest, simplest and most practical, especially for a beginner, is the double sided oil stone. £20 worth will last you for life.

one other thing, what's the difference between the Narex cabinetmakers chisels and their bevel edge chisels?

I'd also recommend the QS low angle block (although you seem to be sorted for a block plane now), but as far as chisels go I haven't used the Narex but have heard good things. Personally I've got a set of Kirschen Chisels, the polished ones. I think they're great, seem to hold an edge well and they're nice in the hand, mine came with a wooden mallet as well, think they were £60 second hand. Axminster have them.

There's a set going on Ebay now, it finishes in 45 mins, have a gander here.

Cheers _Dan.

scubadoo":wuh91ea7 said:
Jacob":wuh91ea7 said:
scubadoo":wuh91ea7 said:
what grades do i need on a combi stone?
Usea combi stone like this for almost everything and when you have got the hang of it get another finer stone. That's all you need.

Thanks Jacob.
My pleasure.
Looking at your original post you say "block plane for delicate work/end grain planing". A block plane isn't particularly for "delicate" work, it's more of an edge plain - for trimming arrises one handed, rounding edges, cleaning up tenon ends etc. Not at all suited for planing the face of boards for which a 4 or 3 might be better for musical instrument making. Perhaps a "luthier" will be along and put you right.
Chisels - any old chisels will do as long as you can sharpen them. Just 2 or 3 for starters. "Sets" always contain more chisels than you really need. Nobody needs a "set". They can all come from entirely different sources, it really doesn't matter. Probably better to experience a variety.

PS just noticed DBH has been already - recommends just 2 chisels! There you go!

Latest posts

Back