Help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Posted earlier about finish for table.I need some advise on what to do next. I have tried to clean with wire wool and a bit of white spirit some of the surface was left a bit sticky. I think it has laquer on it at the moment. Can anybody tell me what prepertation I need to do before applying finishing oil over the laquer.Do I neeed to sand the laquer to get a key for the oil?or would I need to strip the laquer off for best results?The table is made of Oak and would like a fairly glossy finish.
Also should I be cleaning with white spirit or meths.

Thanks in advance Phil

phil dont use wirewool on oak it will stain it .some one will be along with the answer

Phil
I think you will need to sand the lacquer off before applying the oil. It needs to soak into the timber so if the surface is sealed then it wont.
Don't forget-get the top as smooth as you can before applying the oil. These finishes don't build up as thick as lacquers so any imperfections are amplified. DAMHIK :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D
P.s.-here's a link to a coffee table I've just completed. Finished with Chestnuts finishing oil. http://www.philsville.co.uk/coffee_table_2.htm

Hi Phil

I believe that you will have a problem as the steel in the wire wool reacts with oak and will give you black marks. This is certainly the situation with outdoor projects and I can only assume applies to indoor ones as well.

Have a look here at "problems with exterior oak" : -
www.rustins.co.uk

I don't know how to sort this out but I'm sure that someone will be along soon.

Cheers
Neil

Phil, Neil and Frank are right. The tannin in the oak will react badly with any ferrous metal, such as wire wool. It will leave a dark stain due to the tannic acid attacking the metal.

Regards

Woody

Back