help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hello all and a happy new year firstly i dont know much about wood work but how ever i would love to make a cross for my mothers grave if i cant make it may be someone could be kind enough to do it for me i live near bath somerset i would pay although i cant afford alot please any tips or advice would be of great help thanks.....Becky

Hi

A halving joint would be just the jobbie. The only problem with a wooden cross is exposure to the elements, of course. You'll need to use some wood that will be durable. Perhaps it might be worth paying a visit to your local DIY store, preferably the old-fashioned ironmongery type rather than a superstore. They could probably advise you on the most appropriate type of wood that they stock, order it for you and cut it to size. All you would then need to do would be to cut the joint and sand the wood before applying a weather-proof finish. Such woods do tend to be expensive - hence the current popularity of tanalised pine, which would be totally undignified.

How would you wish to mount the cross? The groundsman at the cemetary could offer you advice on what might be acceptable. Some local authorities can be quite strict about such matters so it's worth checking first.

Would you want to inscribe any lettering on the cross? If so, you could have a go at some scrollsaw work or engraving but acquiring the tools would probably be prohibitively expensive for a one-off project. Different if you're looking for a new hobby though! It might be better to enquire of a local engraver to see if he could provide something suitable or would even be prepared to engrave the cross itself.

Hope this helps.

Gill

Back