Help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterjgray

Reaction score
I am new to this but have made a few things. However I have been asked to make a crucifix cross from a solid piece of English elm that I have. 18 inches high maybe 6 on the vertical. The piece I have is about 1 1/4 thick. What hand tools should I purchase to give the piece an authentic look as after I have sawn the rough shape? Not sure what it’s called but I was thinking of one of those two handled plane things to round off the edges?

Pretty much anything with a sharp edge/blade could give you the rustic look , a cheap spokeshave from ebay or similar would make it a bit easier though :)

A used record 151 spokeshave can be for for £15 on eBay and will be a lot better quality and will hold its value if you want to sell it on.

A used record 151 spokeshave can be for for £15 on eBay and will be a lot better quality and will hold its value if you want to sell it on.
If it's the same one as I am looking at it has bits missing i.e. the two gizmos that engage in the blade to adjust the depth of cut. I nearly hit the 'Buy it Now' button before I spotted that.

Just watch what you buy there flat cut spokeshaves and round bottom spokeshaves I think you will need a round bottom one
screwfix sell both types

Last edited:
Get some bits of scrap or similar to practice on. You may find some careful chiselling works well. If you posted a pik of what you are aiming to make, we could give you some pointers of how they did it.

Latest posts

Back