help needed with wooden jigsaw pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donwatson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been looking at cutting some 1/4" ply with a picture glued to it, about A4 size. I would like to make this an interlocking jigsaw that are usually made from cardboard. Does anyone know where I can get the design pattern that I can use to cut out the shaped pieces ??
take care and stay safe
Don W

I would recommend 2 books on jigsaw puzzles that will tell you most of what you need to know.
They are British Jigsaw puzzles of the 20th century by Tom Tyler and Making jigsaw puzzles by Charles Ross.
However I would suggest cutting them freehand!
If you master freehand you should end up with some really great puzzles.
Look on Facebook for handcut wooden jigsaws puzzles these are highly skilled makers.

I made a few maps of the UK and Ireland once after seeing a chap do at a show. I was using 18 mm maple and soon found it hard going ! The trick is to photocopy your subject and stick it to the substrate. Spiral blades are little use - they tended to 'round over ' the edges so you learn to quickly rotate the board and keep pushing the cut away from you. You should be fine with 1/4" ply but the edges will need a clean up which I found very time consuming. Haven't done any since then !.

Hi All,
I have been looking at cutting some 1/4" ply with a picture glued to it, about A4 size. I would like to make this an interlocking jigsaw that are usually made from cardboard. Does anyone know where I can get the design pattern that I can use to cut out the shaped pieces ??
take care and stay safe
Don W
Have a look at Scroll Saw Workshop, run by Steve Good. Lots of YouTube videos and on the website you can download templates too. Very informative.

I made a few maps of the UK and Ireland once after seeing a chap do at a show. I was using 18 mm maple and soon found it hard going ! The trick is to photocopy your subject and stick it to the substrate. Spiral blades are little use - they tended to 'round over ' the edges so you learn to quickly rotate the board and keep pushing the cut away from you. You should be fine with 1/4" ply but the edges will need a clean up which I found very time consuming. Haven't done any since then !.
If you use a pice of 3mm MDF above and below the ply then the picture will not be damaged and the edges will require little or no cleaning up.

If you want I can send you a template. How many pieces and what (approximate) size are you looking for?
I have been looking at an A4 size but I don't know how many pieces. I will need to keep looking. I have found a site that may cover what I am looking for at 19 Printable Puzzle Piece Templates ᐅ TemplateLab.
Thanks everyone for your help I will be back when I have achieved something.

Back