Help needed with Windows XP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,

To cut a long story short, I'm trying to sort out a laptop at work which has got a virus. The IT department aren't interested because it's not covered by their contract. There is no chance of connecting it to the internet to download anti-virus software.

I tried putting AVG on a USB stick, but on plugging it in the virus immediately attacked the stick and converted the AVG folder to a program folder (i.e. it's still there but hidden. I only found this out by plugging it into a different computer). On the infected laptop, unticking the "hide protected program files" option does not work because the virus immediately changes the setting back.

I tried putting AVG on a CD instead but the CD drive does not want to read anything. I'm not sure if this is a legitimate problem or just the virus defending itself. For this reason I don't want to format the laptop, I might not be able to load anything back on!

Is there an alternate way of accessing "hidden" files? If I can get AVG onto the laptop I might have a fighting chance...

Thanks

Hi Dave
You should be able to go into control panel, folder options and there will be a box to tick to view hidden files (default is to hide them).

I doubt that will help really and I would seriously consider a fe-format. Cheapest way is to buy or borrow a usb caddy, stick your HDD in it and copy what you want to save on to another computer. You will need to re - load all progs seperately but the benefit of starting again is a machine back to the speed it was when new.

Bob

Dave

In my past IT days I used to have to fight similar viruses. Some tricks/hints that may assist:

- On a PC remove the HD and install as a slave drive in another PC, then use the latters anti-virus prog to scan the infected drive.

- Network (just a crossover cable) a protected machine to infected machine and scan (as above). Start in 'safe mode' if need be.

- Identify virus - Google key aspects of virus to identify it and then search for solutions (you can be sure this isn't the first time the virus has been encountered).

- Review all programs running at start-up (there's programmes to help do this or search for other methods e.g. start step-by-step; safe-mode) - you're looking for the 'wrong-un: googling each program should reveal the guilty party.

- Good ol 'System Restore can often work.

- Some advanced viruses do protect themselves e.g. disabling a/v, downloading a fresh copy if deleted. Usually you'll need to edit the registry (once guilty programme identified just use the registry's search function to locate the guilty entry).

Good luck.

Reload it from a windows disk, do a full format not quick, unless you have some data you need to save, but then you do have a backup don't you :wink: if not the slave drive idea is the best one. Malwarebites is a good one to start off with if you get it slaved.

Pete

Put the laptop on top of some nice dry wood, find a bottle of turps and some matches ....................................

Last time I had a virus on Windows XP I did this:

Got a Linux Live CD
Booted to Linux using the Live CD
FTP'd my precious files to another machine on my network (you could probably copy to a USB device)
Clicked install Linux and selected reformat to reformat the drive and perform a fresh install of Linux.

You may prefer not to do the last step and to reinstall Windows instead.

mseries":3mmyoykb said:
Last time I had a virus on Windows XP I did this:

Got a Linux Live CD
Booted to Linux using the Live CD
FTP'd my precious files to another machine on my network (you could probably copy to a USB device)
Clicked install Linux and selected reformat to reformat the drive and perform a fresh install of Linux.

You may prefer not to do the last step and to reinstall Windows instead.

+1 for any/all of that

(http://www.newscientist.com/article...ns-encryption-to-access-internet-traffic.html)

You could put in a win xp disc and reformat the hard drive and reload windows.

Which virus?

If its the latest police warning scam locking the PC then it's actually fairly easy to remove with a little help. Pm if its this one.

Phil

Malc":3nlatcdl said:
Hi

If you have another machine you could download Kaspersky recue disk it is free. you can download it and create a disc that you boot off. The opeating system does not start
http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/virusscanner/index

Microsoft do one as well
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 49351.aspx

Hope this helps
+1

DTR":3nlatcdl said:
There is no chance of connecting it to the internet to download anti-virus software.
I wonder how you got your virus :roll:

Virus details would help as a lot of these can be removed manually which will be enough to make things stable so you install a FREE av product - did you imply you didn't have any av ? not even a FREE version (need smilie for wagging finger or at least, accusing look)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a closer look later. If we get anywhere I'll report back.

The laptop was supplied to us by a third party to use in conjunction with external test equipment (hence why the IT department aren't interested). Just prior to my starting in this office, the laptop and test equipment were loaned to another department and we think that's when it got the virus. I've been told that we have a software disc for the test equipment but no-one knows if we have a Windows disc. As supplied, the laptop never had any anti-virus software and no backup disc has ever been made. I've already arranged to borrow an external CD drive from a colleague to attempt to load on some anti-virus software. After that I'll start on the suggestions here.

Thanks again

Most laptops can be factory recovered without having any recovery discs being made. What make and model do you have, as I have in excess of 500 different recovery set as well.

Phil

Update... sort of. I'm off work now for a week, and apparently the laptop is being loaned out again. Any attempts at fixing it will have to wait til it comes back.

DTR":1ctqqn16 said:
Update... sort of. I'm off work now for a week, and apparently the laptop is being loaned out again. Any attempts at fixing it will have to wait til it comes back.

That's just plain irresponsible of your companies management/IT department.

Jeez and we wonder how viruses get propagated so easily. They deserve their servers to be infested by all manner of nasties.

Fair play to you for trying to sort it out.

DTR":xnl61r4d said:

Idiots! Some people never learn :?

Back