help needed with windows xp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Can anyone offer a solution to my problem (well, this one anyway!). My computer will only work in safe mode - it hangs on booting up if safe mode is not chosen. Anyone know how to fix this??
Cheers
Stewart

In XP, you can do a system restore to the last time the computer worked without having to use safe mode. Then you can try, one at a time, re-installing the software or components that gave you the problem. I just went through this after installing new virus software. Hope this helps.

Ed

My last computer had Wins. 98 and it started acting kinda like that, after a lot of reading I found out I had spyware downloaded on to my PC, it took me awhile but I got it all out, then everything was just fine. I now run SpyBot and Adaware, both are free.
Just my 2 cents worth

Bob

what did you install last? usually, this type of problem is caused by bad install or bad drivers. I would try uninstalling whatever you last installed (in safe mode) and if that doesn't fix it, then a quick re-install of XP after backing up everything that is important to you (dat emails etc.)

thanks for the replies
i've tried the suggestions but have had to do a reinstall of xp - this hasn't fixed the problem either so I think there must be a problem with the motherboard?

Stewart, you haven't by any chance installed Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, or any other Symantec program lately? Or have you got any of these installed, and recently installed anything else?

The reason i ask is, after researching a problem i was having, i found that their programs can sometimes cause havoc with other non-compatable programs.
Thankfully most of the time there is a simple cure of either going to the PC manufacturers website and downloading a updated driver/software. Or doing the same at the software manufacturers website.

Before you do any of this try going to the Symantec website and see if they have an update.

Of course as many of you will know i am a complete novice when it comes to computers, and so i am probably way of base.

I hope that you get the problem sorted.

Regards

Woody

Latest posts

Back